Scientific jobs that are light on research? Help!

JesseC

Hello, I just graduated from college with a degree in Biochemistry, and like most college graduates, I don't know what I want to do still. I was never interested in medical school, and I looked into maybe going into law as a patent attorney, but also decided that I wouldn't enjoy that as a career. Ideally, I would love to get a Ph.D. and be able to teach at a college. My huge problem is that I really am not a huge fan of doing research. I love learning new things and topics, which is why I would love to a get a higher ed. degree, but I don't like doing research at all, which is obviously a very big problem if I were to try to get a Ph.D. Are there any sorts of pathways I can continue on to learn more about science, but that are perhaps a bit lighter on the research side? Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

-Jesse

I would love to get a Ph.D.

I really am not a huge fan of doing research.

these statements are mutually exclusive.

I have a PhD and I teach at a college. But I strongly reccomend that if you dont like research, you dont do a PhD. Go by the other route, get a degree in education.

these statements are mutually exclusive.

I have a PhD and I teach at a college. But I strongly reccomend that if you dont like research, you dont do a PhD. Go by the other route, get a degree in education.

Well, I guess I only want a PhD mostly because I'd like to teach at an upper level institution. Is that possible without a PhD?

Well, I guess I only want a PhD mostly because I'd like to teach at an upper level institution. Is that possible without a PhD?

unlikely, though you could possibly teach at a "lower level" school with a masters, or secondary ed with a masters in education.

depends on what country you're in and what u mean by "college". In countries other than the USA, there is a distinction between "college" and "university"

there are instructors at my (canadian) college who have no PhD, although many of them do.