s e m

amit

actually i didnt know where to put this question hence i decided to put it in field i m working in.

what compound we can use instead of acrylic resin in scanning electron microscope?

actually acrylic resin is used in moulding the metallic samples (like soil containing heavy metals) in a form of a capsules like structure to put it in the machine

I've asked a friend who works in the field too... she couldn't give a product name. The mix she uses is (quoting) :

• Epoxy resin (5 parts), available from Merck.

• The hardener (1 part).

A quick search on the Merck website however returned 0 hits for "epoxy resin"... Sorry that I can't be of more help.

• Epoxy resin (5 parts), available from Merck.

• The hardener (1 part).

QUOTE]

The hardener will be some kind of amine. Basically this is the same as any normal 2 pack epoxy glue. As I said - I reckon any clear resin will do. Or just get some 2 pk epoxy glue as long as it dries hard enough. Just add more amine to up the level of cross-linking for a harder resin I reckon.

The thing you've got to be mindful of with SEMs is the electron transport properties and absorbsion of the materials used as if you want it to be in the way of the beam you need it to be transparent to most electrons, and if you want ti as a sample mount you want it to be able to conduct electrons, else the sample becomes charged, of course what we do in optics is put metal connects from the sample around the insulating substrate connecting them to the metal sample mount.

.....else the sample becomes charged........

Good point - If mounted then we've always coated with a very fine layer of Pt or Au atoms from a vapour deposition chamber to better reflect the electrons and to stop them charging the sample.