Question?

Tank

I was wondering...If the technology wree available, could one dig a hole EXTREMELY far down into the earth and put the hole in the middle of the ocean then let the ocean water inside? What would happen? Would the core blow up? Would the tectonic plates shift suddenly? Would volcanoes form where there were no volcanoes before? I would love you have more information on the outcome.

See im guessing if in some EXTREMELY wacked world were some one would actually do this, that you mean dig to just above the mantle and then drain the water in there?

well im guessing there would be the best colossal gyser you would ever see. The plates may break up a bit, doubt very much that the core would blow up. Also some volcanoes may erupt again and there would be some earthquaking going on

Since you'd be drilling quite far down into the Earth, I daresay that once you got somewhere near the mantle a large amount of lava, given a nice big hole to escape the pressure of the mantle would suddenly decide that it'd be a nice idea to come up through the hole, creating an underwater volcano, and vaporising whoever or whatever was drilling the hole.

If the Earth were a bowling ball, it wouldn't even feel damp. So I don't think your experiment would engender any noticeable tectonic activity. Other effects, such as climatic catastrophies would, I think, depend upon the diameter of the shaft and other factors.

I think if you started drilling holes deep in the earth, depending on how many metres you penetrate, thn i think the main affect would be one of "volcanic" such as many new volcanoes, that is the best I can imagine at the moment without knowing the depth of the drilling.

• 2 weeks later...

To better clarify my idea..The hole would be dug slighty past the mantle (impossible, I know). Then, on a beautifl spring day, someone would open the 20ft by 20ft hatch and let water (from the ocean) pour in. Basically, I am trying to figure out a way to wack Earth up for a couple hundred years using this method or something like it. If someone has a better idea that goes along with my plan somewhat, please let me know.

Ps- I do not plan on destroying Earth, this is just an idea I had for something.

Ps- I do not plan on destroying Earth, this is just an idea I had for something.

Holding the Earth to ransom? :confused:

Seriously, shooting a 20x20 ft pipe of water into the mantle would be like attacking a multi-storey building with a pin.

Sayonara...Good point. But how large would the hole have to be? Could there be several larger holes in different parts of Earth? What if a small amount of some highly flamable liquid was poured in with the water? Then again why use water is you have a flamable liquid. Another point I would like to make is if the water poured into the hole what woulpd happen to the ocean? The heat from the core would turn the water into steam and dissapear but there's only so much water in an ocean. Could the core cool down and cause something? Use your imagination and think hypathetically

i'm missing the purpose here.

you're trying to come up with a solid theory about jacking the planet for an x amount of time. ok. how long of a time and how extensive of a damage are you thinking of? what about it's affects on the ecological systems as well as other living creatures? how did this idea took place and why? or is the nature of this is only philosophical? where/what are the practical applications of this notion and where is it going?

could you cool the earth down right down to the core? making it all solid, what would happen. Would gravity, weather or erosion be affected? at all...........

Not with current day technology. Imagine how much fluid (okay, molten rock under high pressure, so not necessarily fluid) is involved here, and you'll see the general problem :)

Must I explain the purpose of this thread again?

This was simply an idea I had while thinking of a plot; a plot for a book. I'm not a science wiz so I asked other's to give me their input on these things. I am asking to think hypathetically and without limitations. I rewrite what I asked above in hopes for a more definite answer.

how large would the hole have to be? Could there be several larger holes in different parts of Earth? What if a small amount of some highly flamable liquid was poured in with the water? Then again why use water is you have a flamable liquid. Another point I would like to make is if the water poured into the hole what woulpd happen to the ocean? The heat from the core would turn the water into steam and dissapear but there's only so much water in an ocean. Could the core cool down and cause something?

I stress to you that you MUST use your imagination and think hypathetically. THink past the limitations of today. In the future anything if possible.

What you're talking about, even in a hypothetical sense, is pretty impossible. Maybe if you got thousands of extremely powerful explosives (I mean more powerful than nukes), put them all along the seabed or along a diameter of the Earth, then it might (and I mean might) split the hole so wide that the Earth would effectively split in two. You have to think of the forces involved here, and they're pretty extreme.

Would the water even go down the hole? There must be enormous amounts of pressure inside the earth, would that keep the water out? If it were a big enough hole I guess it would drain in, then what? Get evaporated...put back into the water cycle? Maybe it would just fill in the whole and the ocean depth would lower by X feet. Thus destroying millon of creatures ecosystems, but creating millions of new ones for new creatures. Red Queen theory :)

could you cool the earth down right down to the core? making it all solid, what would happen. Would gravity, weather or erosion be affected? at all...........

gravity wouldn't be affected as gravitational field depends on the mass of the object. on the other hand it also depends on the distance from the centre of mass so if u walk on the now empty oceans then probably u would observe a slightly(tiny tiny tiny) increase in the gravitational force.

People, People, People. No matter how large the hole is? Alrighty, then I take it that this senario is negative. Nothing would change and we would all watch CNN on the night this happened and feel nothing. I have learned a few things though:

1. Digging a hole in the earth and pouring water into it is like trying to destroy a skyscraper with a pin.

2. People take things to seriously and think you're going to destroy Earth

3. People have a hard time thinking hypathetically

4. I don't want to be drilling the hole because I'll get vaporized.

5. Never try to devise a plan to destroy Earth because it never works out.

Tank out.

I'll think of something...MUHAHAHAHAHAHA...You'll see...muhahahahahaha*cough hahahaha