how were martial arts born.

Mark

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best physical demonstration of the fighting forms is in these ultimate fighting championships' date=' where they actually pit the forms together.[/quote']

Agreed. When these tournaments first started they clearly demonstrated that brazilian Jiu Jitsu was the dominant fighting style. Royce Gracie won the first 4 competitions. At 176 lbs. (80kg) his success wasn't due to simply to his physical prowess but rather his technique.

Nowadays however the ultimate fighting championship and Mixed martial arts have "evolved" like any other sport. To be successful a competitor has to be cross-trained in many different aspects and different styles.

i feel that i am qualified to say something about tai chi. That is all I i have done for the past 2 years, intensivly. I cant claim that tai chi is the sole contributer to my personal my success in NHB combat or the few times I have protected my self or others from agression. It has, however, increased my overall abilities beyond all of my training partners abilities that I previously found hard to cope with. I have studied many styles over the past 11 years all whole heartedly, and spent most of my young 23 years fighting in some way, on the street or on a mat. -every martial art claims to be the best (except, strangely, ninjitsu which I was told from the start was a poor direct fighting method).-have you fought a well trained ninjitsu practitioner- I have it wasn't easy. how do you get the pretty blue box?....... Many people make the mistake of judging styles based on TV or some documentary film that is no more than an very basic veiw of subject. second hand third person info isnt going to be clear either. many styles claim to be the best , true, Tai chi is missunderstood in this way. grand ultimate is referring to (see post # 45) and an "energy gate" in the skull that is vital to martial practice .., fudgin with an opponents head with a flashy name wasn't the point... There are many branches in the tai chi family. after having studied Yang tai chi, wu tai chi, hoa tai chi, and the original "old frame chen tai chi" (currently immersed) I have come to realise, as have many students and teachers have, that tai chi is tai chi the same root principles through all of the various tai chi "styles" the presentation and motivation are the discerning factors. ask any tai chi student/teacher of any of those variations what they practice they will say "Tai Chi" further questioning will reveal the particular path of tai chi they walk.... next blue box...Taoist and Wushu Tai Chi. speaks of presentation and motivation. . magic blue box here, "Wushu itself does hold it's own against martial arts, but Tai Chi is not by any means an effective style. It's superb at keeping you fit and mentally healthy though. " If you are learning tai chi for health you probably would learn very little combat appl. or none at all, a well qualified teacher wouldn't waste their time or the students. many people have learned tai chi for health and in turn teach just that, they could care less if they can fight. seeing is beleiving. UFC,PRIDE,pancration, ect. all have their merits it yet produces only cross trained athletes that fight the cookie cut styles jack of all trades others spend years of training in one style only to be beaten though their or their styles weakness,,,,,,,, but it rocks any way! styles that i consider my self knowledgable about . Judo, jujitsu-bjj,jjj-2 tiger styles, white crane, mantis, baug gua(pak qua), monkey, southern snake, wing chun, various tai chi, and lots of stuff intinsive in all. it may be sad to some but this is all I do nuf ego..... ask more learn more blue box any one?

i feel that i am qualified to say something about tai chi. That is all I i have done for the past 2 years, intensivly. I cant claim that tai chi is the sole contributer to my personal my success in NHB combat or the few times I have protected my self or others from agression. It has, however, increased my overall abilities beyond all of my training partners abilities that I previously found hard to cope with.

Being aware of Tai Chi is a world away from claiming that a Tai Chi Grandmaster is the most effective fighter. While I'm not dismissing Tai Chi as a martial art, I am dismissing it as an effective martial art. I've cited before that it does not hold up well when pitted against practintioners of other schools, and I think you would be hard pressed to find a Tai Chi exponant who could best an opponant at the same level from any other school.

I have studied many styles over the past 11 years all whole heartedly, and spent most of my young 23 years fighting in some way, on the street or on a mat.

11 years ago, aged 16, I was training army officers in unarmed combat techniques. Today, I proud to say, I have still never been in a street fight. Because I know how to fight, I don't need to fight. The only time I have used my abilitys has been in private tournaments, never in public.

-every martial art claims to be the best (except, strangely, ninjitsu which I was told from the start was a poor direct fighting method).-have you fought a well trained ninjitsu practitioner- I have it wasn't easy. how do you get the pretty blue box?.......

I'm not quite following you here. I'm not sure what your reading into my post, but when I said 'I was told from the start' I meant from the start of my training in the discipline. It was the pure form on Ninjitsu, which is broadly speaking about movement and evasion. This direct fighting style named Ninjitsu seems to be a relatively recent invention, but in the original form a practitioner of Ninjitsu was not taught to stand toe to toe and fight. If you have fought someone claiming to be using Ninjitsu, the style would appear to be circular movements (much like the higher levels of jujitsu without the locks), if it did not appear fluid circles it was not Ninjitsu.

Many styles claim to be the best , true, Tai chi is missunderstood in this way. grand ultimate is referring to (see post # 45) and an "energy gate" in the skull that is vital to martial practice .., fudgin with an opponents head with a flashy name wasn't the point...

Tai Chi Chuan means grand ultimate fist which I suspect is why they dropped the Chuan. However, the energy gate is indeed a key ideal, something that I was taught to increase focus. You are right, despite sounding weird it does work. Helps with meditation quite a bit too, as I recall.

There are many branches in the tai chi family. after having studied Yang tai chi, wu tai chi, hoa tai chi, and the original "old frame chen tai chi" ...................... If you are learning tai chi for health you probably would learn very little combat appl. or none at all. many people have learned tai chi for health and in turn teach just that, they could care less if they can fight.

Which was, really, my original point. there are over 500 million practitioners of the Taoist Tai chi who do it for health. In comparison, there are only a few thousand exponents of the martial Tai Chi method. The vast majority of Tai Chi masters have never used the art for fighting, and would not know how to.

blue box any one?

What is all this about a blue box?

Sorry for the sloppy format. Never mind about the blue box for quotes I think I figured it out.

It is difficult to try to qualify a style as being effective if all you see are poor examples of it. Tai chi is one of those styles that is sold the same as a Starbucks oil change. Despite that it can be effective through the right practioner. Unfortunately there are only a few thousand, as you said monkey, persons that train in the fighting concepts and less that teach it. The individual is where a martial style will make it or break it. A well motivated person can be as dangerous as a well trained one.

In that I feel that is how and why Martial arts came to be. It was born through motivation to have a better weapons.

There is a style of Pinkat Silat that offers methods on how to bite. This is what sets this particular style apart from other Silat styles.

I met a guy from India at a retreat that was a yogi. He introduced me to this (crazy) style. When so many styles try to appear or act like other animals, he looked like a man doing "human fu". He felt that in combat we should fight like the animals that we are. I imagine the first "masters" may have moved and fought as he does.

Fighting is like any of the other things that were nessisary to ancient humans. The best hunter taught the others. The best wrestler won the fights and taught his friends or family. Each time some one learned from "the master"(relative term) and used that info and gained new info to incorporate in to a "way" of fighting.

The "master" after teaching one or more people he may have developed a teaching style. He gives it a name to try to exspress what he does. The repetition of this in each ancient culture reflects the society and conditions at the time. This repetition gave birth to self sustaining systems, like religion or cooking. The UFC and the like reflect our society and conditions. They are supported by the systems of sport that have taken thousands of years to develop. (I hope I am not offering redundant info)

I would like to thank those that have participated in this forum for being so much fun!