Possible reaction?

Jhonny

Sorry if this seems stupidic but I was just wondering if this reaction would be possible?

K2CO3+NH3+2O2----->KNO3+KOH+CO2+H2+O2

To me it dosen't seem like it would work for some reason...

Just because a reaction balances doesn'y mean it will work. For example the reaction you posted won't.

In essence it's because reactions generall produce stable products and a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen isn't stable.

You could get the oxygen to react with the ammonia to give water and oxides of nitrogen which could then be cooled down and produce nitric acid which would react with the carbonate to make nitrate and CO2.

Just because a reaction balances doesn'y mean it will work. For example the reaction you posted won't.

In essence it's because reactions generall produce stable products and a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen isn't stable.

You could get the oxygen to react with the ammonia to give water and oxides of nitrogen which could then be cooled down and produce nitric acid which would react with the carbonate to make nitrate and CO2.

thanks, i'm not that smart at this

but wouldn't the ammonia+oxygen need to be heated to insane temperatures to oxidse? or would it react just with the oxygen being bubbled through it?

thanks, i'm not that smart at this

but wouldn't the ammonia+oxygen need to be heated to insane temperatures to oxidse? or would it react just with the oxygen being bubbled through it?

As thedarkshade mentioned, the reaction is a catalytic oxidation which requires the presence of a platinum gauze catalyst. Also, the reaction occurs at ~800 C.

you`d need to "Inject" some energy into the system to make this work!

Electrolysis would likely give you A yield of these products, certainly, and you wouldn`t need to use the O2 either.

if it were Singlet Oxygen yes perhaps, or even Ozone, but not O2.

As thedarkshade mentioned, the reaction is a catalytic oxidation which requires the presence of a platinum gauze catalyst. Also, the reaction occurs at ~800 C.

thanks guys, so it has to be a platinum catalyst?

you`d need to "Inject" some energy into the system to make this work!

Electrolysis would likely give you A yield of these products, certainly, and you wouldn`t need to use the O2 either.

if it were Singlet Oxygen yes perhaps, or even Ozone, but not O2.

Hmm I think oxidation of ammonia with oxygen is possible via catalyst.

"if it were Singlet Oxygen yes perhaps, or even Ozone, but not O2."

Er, not really.

The oxidation of ammonia to NOx is the basis of the commercial production of HNO3. As was already mentioned you need a hot catalyst.

I have done this reaction using copper oxide as a catalyst- the yield wasn't good, but it worked.

Actually, I think my having done the experiment proved it.

Incidentally, thermodynamically speaking, the oxygen in the air should combine with the nitrogen and the oceans to form nitric acid.

If anyone finds a good catalyst they might be in real trouble.

Incidentally, thermodynamically speaking, the oxygen in the air should combine with the nitrogen and the oceans to form nitric acid.

If anyone finds a good catalyst they might be in real trouble.

Ooooh! Free fertilizer and energy!