Air Trecks

Jon13

Why would a generator be included while the motorization of the skates is ditched? It is a good starting idea though, we could include both (though scaled down) to slow the loss of power in the skates to a more manageable state.

i am an inline speed skater and i can hit speeds of 30mph without a motor,so instead y not use a generator so i can charge my ipod.

• 4 months later...

is this project still on or what?

I believe not, atleast for some of these people they either gave up, were bought off, were joking, left to enjoy their new air treks, or are hiding it as a trade secret. all of these are possible and probable outcomes in my opinion, yet again another plausible device with no tangible proof of success for the whole world or atleast here on a related forum. sad.

If I make a pair I'll probably show pictures but if I can mass produce them I won't share info on parts and suppliers, no offense it's just good money is scarce these days, atleast till I establish a running, I don't want to monopolize them, after that point I'll get bored of my own design and want to see more, and not being stingy of course I'd come here and spill my guts about everything no matter how hard anyone begs. besides it's just one idea and I'm not the creator of it. and even further more, this is all just hypothetical, I'm an artist more then a theoretical engineer, I just really like the idea and would like to see someone else give it a try.

so here's what I'm getting, just summarizing the project (the comments on four pages here): the anime diagram is practically useless at explaining everything (and actually watching the anime, noticed it's not even operational in it's diagram) but the manga diagram, listed in the comments makes perfect sense and is creatable. although for all these "I called it first, don't take my idea" let me remind you it's not your "idea" somebody, probably the animator, already has a patent on the design, or someone else does, and any modifications of that design. so just stop please it's getting annoying your nothing big, make it and don't get sued, post it here, and I'll eat my words. I don't mean that as an insult, just stating the facts, people need to quit boasting about things rather then doing them, it's bad science and it's killing our economy as of present around the world.

next point, there was a comment stating exactly what I've been thinking when I read the other comments about how it would have to be huge and heavy to be usable and nothing like the anime, they are thinking only in external motors, and or maximum torque, to get you to work and back sort of thing. That's not the intended purpose here, although that would be cool in the future, just starting small with roller-blades that get higher jumps, and faster speeds, not requiring one to exert unreasonable amounts of effort. honestly the idea its self reeks of laziness if subtracting the idea that extra exerted force, undulation, and skating patterns (as suggested in parts of the show) generate faster speeds. regardless on both ends of the spectrum I think we can establish a common set of goals:

• Get a person up to atleast average comfortable cruising speed while rollerblading without accelerating much and get to a good downhill acceleration speed by accelerating, break whilst leaning back, and make a way to increase speed by added effort on the person themselves. (I know some want to try this, but as another said before, trying to maintain identical speeds on two roller blades is tricky and near impossible, however if you are willing to go that fast in the first place, you probably can use an anti locking mechanism to make sure that one shoe can carry the other and visa versa, so they always travel at the same speed even if they aren't both receiving the same amount of power. this is important because you don't want to end up doing the splits when taking off at a higher speed. that is if there is a way for these to handle that speed. think about a skater going downhill, even without power, wheels aren't always perfectly identical and shifting a food back, or trying to race downhill makes it difficult, but not impossible. as with anything if you can't do tricks on the normal thing, you shouldn't try to do them on a more dangerous motorized version.)

• Be able to be compact, reasonable and not heavy to lug around. will require some muscle as the show suggests obviously, and you better have muscle to go at higher speeds. trying to stop, will require more force and finesse as you increase speed obviously and week legs or knees or hips won't be able to handle that, motorized or not. as far as the air-cushion goes, I don't know enough about this to give legitimate scientific advice, but if I recall I heard regular-inflatable ones can be replaced.... by compact memory-foam? not sure if that's right but that's just what I remember learning. I also know memory foam changes states by temperature and is said to deteriorate in certain conditions so I would say if it's going to be used at all for this use industrial strength, and change it every so often for safety. yet again, not professional advice, just an incomplete idea I just had. if anyone has a better suggestion for a stronger yet more compact air cushion, please add to this. I've heard the same thing said more then once about internal motorized wheels, that they just aren't practical yet. I think that is a project in it's self to be discussed in another blog, not this one, but this project working might be dependent on it. I don't like the idea of a spring operated one, it requires a larger motor on the shoe it's self right? that doesn't fit the weight, power or compactness features that are significant to the design and make it bulky and not aesthetically pleasing. "prototype-worthy" for testing the concept of how they would ride? absolutely! but then your stuck with just an unsatisfying eyesore of a prototype you wont get media attention from for long, or sales. As an artists opinion on the market right now, trying to be the mad scientist and have the actual finished project is worth it, don't build Rome in a day, but paint the Sistine chapel atleast in 24 hours. near impossible? absolutely but what is it worth to you? unfortunately for some stupid reason, rich people aren't smart and interested in this, or it would be done by now. rich people never are with anything, just by experience. it's a miracle when something like this gets done, and it's usually some poor person, put against ridiculously unfair odds, thinking of the project before his self interest. It's a historical recurrence.
  • Last a good amount of time. as much as it isn't like the anime to lug around a good sized battery pack, advanced skaters or scenic cruisers, may want to just because it would be nice to ride for longer, It looks like one would have to use lithium cells like those used in electric cars for maximum compactness, but I could be wrong here. yet again not an expert just a tinkerer with friends that can tinker with electronics. motion just wont generate enough electricity to keep you going, and perpetual motion wont do it, but it does have an alternate use I like: speeding up the air gears. like I said before, it adds to the challenge and means you aren't stuck in cruising speed or coasting, plus you can speed up based on your own ability and not that of the power cells. carry the battery for charging them for run time and you can have a great productive and fun time with them.

• Have a professional designer as a friend, and someone capable of coloring and making plastic mold castings. I'm not that person so it does no good for me, but it does for you. seriously, you want it to feel like the anime, it's going to be atleast 30% to 40% looks to put it on the market. not only that but "fitting parts" add to precision, jamming two things together just to see it works just doesn't cut it anymore. might cause an electrical fire, or hurt yourself, and be free, but it won't satisfy you and you might give up easier, and it definitely wont satisfy anyone looking to buy a pair. "seeing" your design come to life is part of the drive that keeps an inventor interested and working on their product and more likely to create more of them, create jobs, and stimulate the economy. besides that, lets admit it, who doesn't want to look nice wearing a pair of legitimate air treks? I like shiny things, I'll wait.

I think that's all of it and all I have to offer. check out the rest of the posts for more. just begging, please put this on the market in California if you can? or ebay? I'm begging you. :D

hi there for all of those people who WANT to build a motorized rollerblade {or AT} im with you guys :lol:, i have been dreaming about building a pair ever seince the first time i watched AirGear. and to everybody who say its "impossible" shut the f*** up :angry:, ANYTHING is possible if you set your mind to it! so i would like to get to know all of my fellow go getter's better!:rolleyes:

okay, you are crushing everbody's dreams here by saying this shit! so what if we are "kids"! kids are the future of tomorrow! and if you thimk that you can crush other peoples dreams well then i can build them back up even stronger than before! as for your "' All people who post here suffer from a number of issues: '" there is a cure for that, its called classes, books legit online resources, RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so back off and let the faces of tomorrow take their rightful place and create AT's for the people of the world enjoy!

-boldkiller

Are you suggesting to make a perpetual motion device out of your rollerskates? You want to generate all the energy for movement in the skate?

Please note that it's impossible to do that... impossible.

This whole thread isn't making much sense.

I haven't read a lot of good ideas... and frankly, I think all people posting here are just kids (<15 yrs) with little engineering background.

All people who post here suffer from a number of issues:

-A huge underestimation of the power required.

-A huge underestimation of the size of both the energy storage (fuel/battery) and engine

-A huge underestimation of the complexity of the control system

Therefore my message to everybody here is: please stop dreaming of things that you see in cartoons. Find some device that actually works and delivers enough power, and go from there.

my_air_treks_by_twintale-d4nbln6.jpg

something I came up with with highlighters and graphic pen, would love to make these. I know this isn't an art forum :rolleyes:, but I did design these with material/function/aerodynamics in mind. the striped regions are cushions of memory foam in waterproof casings, the three latch looking things on the side are just that, as well as a locking mechanism in the center, that allows the at battery, base detach. for regular shoes. just an idea I thought would work, and I thought, until the in-wheel motors get tougher, about using aggressive scaring wheels with better grip until stronger bases can be designed, preferably out of steel not plastic or tin. the wheels, like in the show would be super expensive. I also thought making them detachable would make them easier to work on for customization, as this makes the batter pack in the heel easier to access. these are what I would build or buy if I could. I reserve the rights to this work if anyone wants to use the design (that is the above image, not the idea of air-trecks, not to confuse anyone), but if your willing to build them I can give an alternate design if you let me have this one exclusively, and a free pair :lol:... yeah... please?

Edited by Twintale

hi there for all of those people who want to build a motorized rollerblade {or AT} im with you guys, I have been dreaming about building a pair ever since the first time i watched AirGear. And to everybody who say its "impossible" keep quiet, anything is possible if you set your mind to it! So i would like to get to know all of my fellow go getter's better!

Okay, you are crushing everbody's dreams here by saying this stuff! So what if we are "kids"! Kids are the future of tomorrow! And if you think that you can crush other peoples dreams well then i can build them back up even stronger than before! As for your "' All people who post here suffer from a number of issues: '" there is a cure for that, it's called classes, books legit online resources, and research! So back off and let the faces of tomorrow take their rightful place and create AT's for the people of the world enjoy!

-boldkiller

(quote edited by CaptainPanic to remove screaming font, bold text, CAPS, swearing and other language against forum rules, unnecessary smileys, typos and spelling mistakes)

Hello!

I thought that I would be pointing you in the right direction (or, rather, point you all away from wrong directions). If you think it is better to spend months building a dream (which won't work), then don't come to a science forum. If you want to build something that does work, then please take some advice from engineers who know what they are talking about.

When people plan to build something which is obviously not going to work, why should I keep quiet? When someone is hungry, you can either give him a fish, or teach him to fish... but you are asking me to let him starve, and find out how to fish by himself. I do not agree with that kind of thinking.

You can follow classes and do research - that's always a good idea. But maybe there are some people around who can save you a lot of time by giving some advice.

So far, the majority of the people in this thread have shown no idea of the power that is needed, or how to control the power output (making it only on or off will not work). I'm sorry if I only pointy out problems, without solving them. But I just do not have any interest in building such rollerskates myself. That doesn't mean I cannot reply to this thread.

Hello!

I thought that I would be pointing you in the right direction (or, rather, point you all away from wrong directions). If you think it is better to spend months building a dream (which won't work), then don't come to a science forum. If you want to build something that does work, then please take some advice from engineers who know what they are talking about.

When people plan to build something which is obviously not going to work, why should I keep quiet? When someone is hungry, you can either give him a fish, or teach him to fish... but you are asking me to let him starve, and find out how to fish by himself. I do not agree with that kind of thinking.

You can follow classes and do research - that's always a good idea. But maybe there are some people around who can save you a lot of time by giving some advice.

So far, the majority of the people in this thread have shown no idea of the power that is needed, or how to control the power output (making it only on or off will not work). I'm sorry if I only pointy out problems, without solving them. But I just do not have any interest in building such rollerskates myself. That doesn't mean I cannot reply to this thread.

dear captain panic, I respect this approach and purposely surround myself with people to poke holes in my theories, but I think you've got one part wrong: that this isn't the place for this kind of subject. This is not a novelty venture, there is real science behind it and I am trying to do my best to cooperate with those interested in that aspect. honestly the idea of creating an involved, simplified, form of transportation (heck, it would be useful as a college student getting around campus) that gets people back outdoors is an altogether great idea. please don't be a fun kill either, it's all about improving life right? or are you part of the quest for knowledge group. sorry no sympathy there, I find it pointless. If you waste your life on wonder-lust, and ask others to do the same, what's the point of learning anything. have some fun with it, in fact most successful inventors and great scientists do exactly that, and it works. If your against that, I recommend either someone else run the forum, or we start another competing one with more diligence. I don't like being told to be lazy about applying ideas it's counter intuitive and not even scientific.

ok for all the people who really are going to try to build this right now are you going to work togather or going to take the info and do it your self? cause if we are about to work on this we should start and not to be scatch but people who are close to eachother doing the project should help eachother.

• 2 weeks later...

also we should go through the forum and read the ideas and try to fit them togather as best as possible cause thats what im going and its kinda working out better

post-64457-0-00395000-1326716315_thumb.gifthis image might help with the projects all of you been doing lately

where did you get this picture from?

also we should go through the forum and read the ideas and try to fit them togather as best as possible cause thats what im going and its kinda working out better

where did you get this picture from?

it's from the "air-gear" manga version.

on a different subject I worked out some basic parts sketches when a friend wanted an explanation, There are only 4 parts in it I can't buy or manufacture myself from anyone I know being: an attachable wheel sized fan and on wheel motor (can consist of a magnet with two definite poles actually and switch the charge on board the skate its self the idea is to use the flow of electricity to the wheel, the accelerator can be made from a keyboard sustain petal most likely and the break can be made in a similar way plus a spring surrounding a stopper made from a door peg (something small with a rubber peg). I'm trying to simplify the design this way to items anyone can find. I also think using a system of magnets turning and switching (think of the way a simple power generator works but in reverse like an electric vacuum cleaner with more supplied power, also think of how a light-rail works, similar in operation, wheels aren't mechanized just polarized). another part would be a lithium ion battery small enough to fit in the heel... that is probably going to be the hardest item to acquire. you are going to need some massive power to pull that wheel clockwise fast enough to cary the weight of the rider forward, however leaning forward already initiates momentum and even a small mechanical pump can transfer that energy into motion so using that as the motion to start the accelerator actually plays into favor of those few seconds where the wheel begins to accelerate. you lean forward when you try to accelerate when skating normally, try to stop for a moment and consider more than just "remote control car physics" and consider human weight shifting as part of this system and you can see how this would work. we're not moving a drive shaft either it's closer to the way a light-rail moves, just moving the wheels this way.

its possible to sew the boot at home and you can buy shoe soles and insoles, generic buckles, zippers, what have you online or in a joannes store to make the shoe it's self appear and feel the way you want. however, I would have to have an expensive machine and cad program to make the containment unit for the battery, wire accelerator and brake casing I don't have a resource to make. a friend pointed out I could probably cut a fender for the wheels from some other plastic object, and then paint it. but even that wouldn't be the best idea because there's no way to secure it very well to the boot. there's also in my design a side button that slides a lock at the bottom of the shoe so it can separate from the casing, I could make it from metal strips, but it wouldn't last as long as having someone manufacture the part out of Mylar or steel. also plastic makes for a sturdier casing for parts then leather in some areas, and although fiberglass might look the same, it is tricky to work with and is less comfortable in the inside. so, it's either fiberglass or I find someone to mold plastic parts for me somehow.... the concerns are weight and strength, we don't want these things to break after every ride especially in areas such as the wheel box in the back where the battery, rubber break, rear wheel (both could be magnetized but considering earlier statements I figure this is the best place to supply full concentrated charge to).

If it makes you all feel better I suggest you do this first, get the battery you need, wire it to the sustain petal you will need for an accelerator, wire that to a small motor made like in childrens science kits using AAA batteries like magnets. then get an voltmeter and record the data of this experiment. also get a small speedometer somehow to measure the speed at which the motor is spinning. next get a small magnet with two poles, attach it to a standard rollerskating wheel and place that within the electric engine you built instead. record the data again. make now a smaller version of this motor using a curved semi circle of copper plate and back one side with rubber, attach to either end the positive and negative ends of the circuit and build your motor box this way. even if your speedometer cant match the required speed (as thankfully worked out in a previous post, seriously thank you for this!) make a video, take pictures of your dinky electro-magnetic motor and your data. use these as your research to take to some company who manufactures electric appliance motors so they can suggest ways to improve this motor to bring it to its full operation and full speed. also post this data here for sure, obviously. consider this like an extra credit science project before your final (a race to build the best and functional AT's possible) even if your project fails, report it anyways, you learn from mistakes. Thomas Edison failed how many times at making the light-bulb?(google it haha) that way we can use this forum as a way to assess what to do or not do and work back and fourth, the more people the less time this will take, if your all on the ball with me here we should have this info what? in a month or two? someone builds their working AT's before this fall? I don't want to make this sound like a push over, you will have to do the homework for it, but I'm saying this isn't rocket science, it's not even college level algebra... its easier, no functions or graphing just trying to match your results to the needed horsepower, just takes some pocket cash, time, colaboration (our possibly biggest obstacle as introverts harharhar), Google, workspace, and diligence, mostly diligence. after we get the motors running properly and at he right size, THEN! we can worry about how to bundle it in a casing without it being a fire hazard (the real hard part)

why am I not doing this? because I'm a full time art student with overdue math homework, excessive amounts of reading, tendinitis right now and typed this with my left hand (right handed). dodging carpal tunnel like the plague. so yes I will join you in this experiment, later, when I'm done with my homework, and my hand heals, and I get done with my build up of art commissions (a hand carved mask, an album cover, comic strips, custom tail commissions, and a character drawing still long overdue, yikes) goodnight everybody, hope to hear back from you.

how to make your motor? understand the concept of this video>>

>>and your almost ready, just replace these alligator cable clips with something able to carry the amps (or volts if your really that dedicated @_@') you will be supplying your electric motor with. aka the wheel, accelerator and breaks work as individual cut switches, it's just that simple. be realistic get the parts you intend to use in your At's eventually. the whole setup can be externalized (wires and battery rest outside the skate and the only modified part would be the magnetic coil, or magnets in the wheels and the copper plating in the inside of the wheel casing close as possible to the coil or magnet system you make on the wheels (or just rear wheel) poke a hole in the shoe maybe and insert the sustain petal inside and pull the chord out, little things like that. they're really just words that are hard to pronounce, not complicated to understand. later, if you feel more confident, step away from the duct tape and dental floss and make your dream ATs.

btw I was not the one that posted the picture you referred to, just knew the answer, yet again thank you IwillDoTheImpossibl3. also thank you Eyvind for doing everyone's math homework here :D that was nice! thankyouthankyouthankyou!!! the magic number you'll be looking for is 160 horse power which translated is approximately 111 kilowatts of electricity moving smoothly through the motor if I'm correct. correct me if I'm wrong!

ps: I had no idea what I was talking about earlier about volts, here's an explanation from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_kw_make_an_amp:

The amount of watts (or thousands of watts, Kw) is a function of current (amps) and voltage. There are no watts in an amp, they are totally different units of measure.

P = I * V

Where P is for watts, I is for current (amps), and V is for volts. If you have one thousand watts (1Kw) and one amp, then there are one thousand volts (1Kv). In a North American household, where the voltage is set at 120v, then something drawing two amps at 120 volts is considered to be 240 watts (2A * 120V = 240W).

there now I feel like less of a derp sorry ;)

post-64643-0-47453800-1328257077_thumb.jpg

post-64643-0-01721000-1328257186_thumb.jpg

http://www.buchmann....icle1-Page1.asp also a good source, apparently you might need $3,000 to get a battery that can produce even 100 Kw at a time. the best option is a PEM fuel cell, and it's costly and gigantic but produces 150 Kw ans runs on hydrogen... so yeah any way we could make it run on less or attach one of those pressure active power generators to the throttle, and if this even helps at all to reach the desired Kw directly also let us know. I currently don't have an answer for that. which reminds me, this engine can be used to power a street legal MOTORCYCLE! are we certain we need that kind of horsepower???? maybe less, less money, and less size? please? I believe it translates to approximately 30mph which is reasonable, but still I think people will be looking for something expendable and cheap and compact all at once (regardless of if it exists or not). I'm applying the "pea shooter vs my hand" mentality here by trying it from the ground up, my hand seems to still be winning against the pea shooter, that's bad news for this battery idea right now. :blink: Edited by Twintale

Hi Guys. New to the Boards. Nice to meet you all.

I have some mechanical background and always take interest in techy things like this. Just wanted to chime in with a few ideas and observations that might help.

First I'd like to make a comparison to some of the math involving the power needed to make these things possible.

So here is some math

in the manga, the average speed of an AT is 45km/h=12.5 m/s (since is on rolerblades this a VERY GOOD speed!!!)

if you asume the AT wheel is 8 cm diameter, the angular speed is 12.5/0.04=312.5 rad/s=2984 rpm

i'm 95 kg , so my weight force is 95*9.81=931.9 N

the wheel needs to have a torque of 931.9*.04=37.3 N.m

the engine power then is 37.3*312.5=116581 W=156 hp

so............

i need an engine that fits under my shoes with:

- Power: 160 hp

- Torque: 37-40 N.m

if you guys find one let me know ok!?

NOTE: this is for an average stock AT not regalia!!!

I didn't actually do any math on this myself but, I have observed the following:

My old 1981 Chevrolet Chevette wieghed over 2000lbs. It only had 60 horsepower under the hood and could get 90MPH sitting on 13" wheels. Generaly what I know about torque in the automotive world is the smaller the wheel, the less power you need to get going. So 156 hp going to ~100-150lbs sitting on 8cm wheels should in theory rip your legs off as soon as you throttle up. Of course top speed would be another factor for a wheel of that diameter..

Now a few thoughts on material contruction...

As for the strength to wieght ratio, the answer would probably be in something like carbon fiber or some newer carbon based meta/nano-material that may exceed its strength and lightness. Whatever ya use its gonna have to be durable as hell for standing up to the puishment of the target envirament they most often will get used in. I personaly think the power source and control hardware would almost have to be remote in a small backpack or belt or something to not be taking the constant shock that a typical roller blade sees. Even just normal street skating on urathane wheels is alot of vibrating for sensitve electronics to be exposed to not counting tricking at the increased hieghts and speeds that these would undoubtedly lead to.

The wheels themselves whould probably have to be oversized to some degree to get as much potential as possible from such small motors and I would plan to use at minimum something lined in solid rubber to help absorb some landing shock to protect the motors as much as possble because no matter what suspension system you think of to insulate the rider, nothing is in between the motor and the road except the wheel. Perhaps some of those larger off-road board style wheel could be incorporated. The typical sized hard urathane wheel just isnt going to be ideal IMO.

Now for the motors. What I know of the electric motors in hybrid cars is they are actually 2 way functionality. The source energy can be put into the motor to increase drive and the execess energy routed back to charge the source when coasting. This reversal of energy will also result in a drag on the wheels wich can be a solution to (at least some of) the braking. At least to a point when you arent going any faster then you could without power so stopping would be as with normal skates at that point.

As for controlls... I think a simple hand-grip rig incorporated into gloves would work. right hand action for going, left hand action for slowing. a wristwatch display inline to the hands could readout for your speed and any other info necessary.

About performance... I would not think so much about launching a person from 0 to 45mph in break neck time. I would instead think more about augmenting what is already available. I think everyone can agree that it would feel silly just standing with your legs frozen in place letting the skates do all the work. People are going to still perform the motion of "skating". It feels right and doesn't look funny since you are wearing skates after all. plus its exorsize wich is good for eveyone anyway. A person seriously wanting to perform in this arena is going to want to be in shape anyway and the more they can propel themself, the power augment of the skates can and should only add to it.

OK i think thats all i have for now. Hope it helps some.

Hi Guys. New to the Boards. Nice to meet you all.

I have some mechanical background and always take interest in techy things like this. Just wanted to chime in with a few ideas and observations that might help.

First I'd like to make a comparison to some of the math involving the power needed to make these things possible.

I didn't actually do any math on this myself but, I have observed the following:

My old 1981 Chevrolet Chevette wieghed over 2000lbs. It only had 60 horsepower under the hood and could get 90MPH sitting on 13" wheels. Generaly what I know about torque in the automotive world is the smaller the wheel, the less power you need to get going. So 156 hp going to ~100-150lbs sitting on 8cm wheels should in theory rip your legs off as soon as you throttle up. Of course top speed would be another factor for a wheel of that diameter..

Now a few thoughts on material contruction...

As for the strength to wieght ratio, the answer would probably be in something like carbon fiber or some newer carbon based meta/nano-material that may exceed its strength and lightness. Whatever ya use its gonna have to be durable as hell for standing up to the puishment of the target envirament they most often will get used in. I personaly think the power source and control hardware would almost have to be remote in a small backpack or belt or something to not be taking the constant shock that a typical roller blade sees. Even just normal street skating on urathane wheels is alot of vibrating for sensitve electronics to be exposed to not counting tricking at the increased hieghts and speeds that these would undoubtedly lead to.

The wheels themselves whould probably have to be oversized to some degree to get as much potential as possible from such small motors and I would plan to use at minimum something lined in solid rubber to help absorb some landing shock to protect the motors as much as possble because no matter what suspension system you think of to insulate the rider, nothing is in between the motor and the road except the wheel. Perhaps some of those larger off-road board style wheel could be incorporated. The typical sized hard urathane wheel just isnt going to be ideal IMO.

Now for the motors. What I know of the electric motors in hybrid cars is they are actually 2 way functionality. The source energy can be put into the motor to increase drive and the execess energy routed back to charge the source when coasting. This reversal of energy will also result in a drag on the wheels wich can be a solution to (at least some of) the braking. At least to a point when you arent going any faster then you could without power so stopping would be as with normal skates at that point.

As for controlls... I think a simple hand-grip rig incorporated into gloves would work. right hand action for going, left hand action for slowing. a wristwatch display inline to the hands could readout for your speed and any other info necessary.

About performance... I would not think so much about launching a person from 0 to 45mph in break neck time. I would instead think more about augmenting what is already available. I think everyone can agree that it would feel silly just standing with your legs frozen in place letting the skates do all the work. People are going to still perform the motion of "skating". It feels right and doesn't look funny since you are wearing skates after all. plus its exorsize wich is good for eveyone anyway. A person seriously wanting to perform in this arena is going to want to be in shape anyway and the more they can propel themself, the power augment of the skates can and should only add to it.

OK i think thats all i have for now. Hope it helps some.

I still like the idea of the in/skate breaking and throttle... I love your idea about the speedometer wrist watch, and agree with you about the back pack power source considering the specs. If you look at my drawing you can see I've equipped it with heavier set wheels built for traction. This Is why I'm considering modifying the sustain pedals as throttle and break switches.

Equally I'm thrilled to learn more about this power-routing of excess charge and how it would effect slowing and drag, I personally like the idea of using free spinning wheels and less control on stopping because of coasting and landing off of jumps. coasting also would add to energy conservation when going downhill.

is there any way to incorporate this decelerating power-routing into only the break system? Sorry, I like to experiment with things unknown :rolleyes:

Edited by Twintale

" is there any way to incorporate this decelerating power-routing into only the break system? Sorry, I like to experiment with things unknown "

Sure. in cars, the charging function is unnoticable as you coast there isnt much drag at all. (you can charge a car battery on .5 amps as long is there is more power going in than comming out) When you hit the brakes, the effect is essentialy "throttled" to produce enough drag to help the normal brake system slow the car down. I'm not well versed on the internal construction of these large motors and how they achieve the differential drag on demand but its a subject of study in my work and I'll report more as I learn. :)

Edit: Meh.. there are some complex mechanical workings that aid in the drag effect that would make it impractical for this. At least now. I think we should focus on the go and worry about the slow later. no one needs to stop.

WE are WILD right! :lol:

Im looking into brushless electric motor design. I see some people on youtube have some working concepts most of wich seem to encorporate an external motor driving the wheels via some sort of mechanic linkage.

I personally envision the wheel being part of the motor with its inner lining as the reluctor and the coils affixed to the axis.

Need to figure out:

1. How much kenetic potential is required to propel a person of average wieght beyond the force of there own skating action.

2. What is the minimum motor size currently in production (or in theory) that can produce the required kenetic force for a resonable sustained amount of time.

3. What is the best configuration to achive the torque, speed, and duty cycle requirements (i.e. AC motor, DC motor, LI battery, other??) and list the pros and cons of each.

This I feel is the most challenging area. everything else can be designed around this.

Edited by Device

Hello, I'm new and came across this.

I think this is a really ambitious goal. one that I believe can be realized. I'm not much of an engineer myself but I have an eye for building things and I'm a bit of an artist.

So if there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Also if I find anything useful I make sure to post it. :)

Hi i am new to this thing and all. but I do have a idea. A electric scooter has a pretty small engine. i thought that if e=we can divide the engine in 2 and put them into 2 shoes (of extra energy we can have pocket batteries or some thing) we can at least go 60 miles per hour. Here's a really crappy drawing

Sorry but i really dont know how to use paint on windows 7

post-68296-0-07906900-1329602090_thumb.png

Hi ok my "image" didn't exactly show up last time but here's another try.Hi i am new to this thing and all. but I do have a idea. A electric scooter has a pretty small engine. i thought that if e=we can divide the engine in 2 and put them into 2 shoes (of extra energy we can have pocket batteries or some thing) we can at least go 60 miles per hour. Also the engine will be under you foot with protective metal around it. the metal will have 2 holes with buttons. 1 in the front to accelerate and one in the back to slow down or stop. hope fully you guys understand (this time). the terrible pic in my mind is in the file

Edited by hypervalent_iodine
Removed bad image file

So I was talking with a friend who knows a lot more then me, and this is what we came up with.

I did some research on the way the skates work in the anime/manga, and it seems the out of of the motor is based on the rider. (stronger kick=more output). So I got to thinking. Why don't we start with augmenting the skates? I think we could use a friction motor, like the one's in toy cars. It uses a flywheel. They do a great job of keeping a constant speed, and the harder the kick the more you will get from the motor.

I feel this is extremely practical. The motor is able to be made that small (they use them in toy cars) and it solves a power problem. Friction motors in the front wheel of each skate will allow the rider to not only get to higher speeds but maintain those speeds for some time.

Let me know what you think. If I find extra time I'll see if I can draw of some rough plans. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,I'm new here..but...umm..Does Ball Air Trecks apply to this subject? I have made a theory myself and it's guaranteed to work 0.01%.So..if you want to give me your opinions,just let me know.

ANYWAYS, The theory Imma' goin' to talk 'bout is right here,ya know?

p><p>Soooo...What is this ya

1. This is the backwards trigger.

This is how I theorized it to be able to stop,slow down,or go backwards.It is triggered by the switch(the rounded square thing).The switch turns on the electromagnet (5.) and the Polyutherane Balls w/ Metal and Magnet (3. I'm gonna explain that later) spins to that direction.The Backwards Trigger is supplied with 12v Battery (4.)

2.These are the springs.

For the user to alter between the Backwards Trigger and the Accelerate Trigger (and also to make a great shock absorber that presses both Backwards and Accelerate to come to a soft landing) springs are attached.

3.These are the balls that make this Air Treck unique.

Please help me with your opinion since I MYSELF DON:'T KNOW HOW CAN WE (OR I) CAN MAKE IT SPIN LIKE A ROLLING BALL AND HOW IT CAN REACT TO :huff-huff....(BREATHES..) AND REACT TO..TO....TO...UMM...E-ELECTROM-MAGNET!!!

Anyways...let's go on to..

4.These are the power source.

As described above,I don't need to explain it any more.I'm lazy on creating long sentences,but short ones with very many details is what I like.Post your Facebook "Like" status drawing here.

5.These are the electromagnets that makes the whole thing go vvrrrooooooooommm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much self explainable.Let's go on.

6.This is the accelerate trigger.

This is just the opposite of the Backwards Trigger.

7.The miraculous,smelly foot!!

This does all the work and needs a sock that is super-hygienic so that you won't smell as bad as my stinkin' theories that makes no sense at all.

untitled.bmp

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have that much experience in engineering but I did a few calculations for Air Trecks with 8cm wheels and motors on the wheels like in the show. I am a pretty light kid and I weigh about 67kg so I did the math for a 90kg person moving at 30km/h. You would need a 4.8cm engine that can run at about 3,000rpm and has enough torque to move a man. I don't know of anything like that that exists. If anybody knows of a motor that is that small and has that much power please post!