Why the electrolysis is more efficient with hot water?

Magnethos

Recently I have made two test to see how much hydrogen is made with hot and with cold water and I have seen that when you put an electrolyser into hot water, the quantity of hydrogen obtained and the speed of electrolysis is higher that when you do the same test in cold water.

Might I suggest another measurement you should make? Take 2 samples of the same quantity of water at the same initial temperature. Take one and apply an electrical current through it. Track the total energy used and the time to produce a given volume of gas.

With the second apply a quantity of energy over a measured quantity of time to rise the temperature to some elevated value. Once heated then apply the electrical current as applied in the first experiment until the same volume of gas is acquired. Add together the energy used to heat the water with the energy of the electricity used to separate it and sum together the time to heat the water and the time to separate it to see if there is really any difference in the total energy required and the time to produce a given quantity of gas.

The second method is only more efficient if the total energy required over time is smaller than that measured in the first experiment. I suspect you will find the final efficiencies to be comparable.

Edited by doG

• 5 months later...

Thanks John,

Since two years I am working on inclusion of hydrogen with air inhaled in IC engines and have received good results. I have engaged electrolysis for the purpose and use pottasium hydroxide mixture as electrolyte. I use 5 amp. 12 V current for the purpose. My goal is to reduce emmission levels and not much on the aspect of increasing mileage however, it has shown significant increase in mileage too. To say about 20% rise i have achieved in different kinds and size of engines. Since I read about the use of high temperature electrolysis, it has come to my mind that, my present set up consums some what of the gasoline energy to charge the battery and and then generate hydrogen by that electricity. However, it is known that, the majore part of the fuel energy is wasted as heat in the present vehicle systems. After studying your discussions above it came to my mind to utilize the coolent system of the engine to increase the temperature of the electrolyte i use and then electrolyse it. Do you agree this will lower my current requirement to generate the hydrogen at the present level of my system? I can arrange and develop some prototype about this if it is really increasing the efficiency of electrolysis.