I need a cool notepad.

alt_f13

Hey,

I'm looking for a freeware notepad where all it does besides the normal "Notepad.exe" functions is highlight strings ie, stuff in between quotation marks.

It would be ever so super-nifty if one of you blokes would point me in the right direction so as to allow me to continue working on my project. 

It's a Sonique 2 skin.  Sonique 2 is rad, but it crashes my computer so I have a hard time figuring out if its my skins code that's messing it up or if its just my flaky computer running at 2% resources while sonique is open.  No joke. 2%.  The notepad would help a lot.

Anyhoo, that would be fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest daeojkim

Try EditPlus2

Pretty neat simple text editor. You can use it for writing programs (Perl, C/C++, Java) and it can handle 1 GB text file. Pretty amazing. Try to open 1GB txt file in word or wordpad... Whoa

my prof showed me a neat one today;

it's called emacs

haven't tried it myself, but indents accordingly, and yada yada depending on the type of characters, tags, etc. you put in

though it's a 50mb file

emacs is cool. I guess the version you're using is the equivalent of xemacs, since emacs is originally a text editor that runs under linux on a console.

Xemacs is a fork of emacs, not a graphical version of emacs. Emacs can be built with a complete graphical user interface too.