Organelles

CrazCo

Quick Questions :eek: - Bold ones are the ones I literally have no clue about.

Questions:

1) The area:volume ratio is significant for cells because?

2) The advantage organelles give cells is?

3) stomach lining cells contain a large number of ribosomes and Golgi because?

4) A student has observed an amoeba and drew it. If you are correcting this illustration and notice that they drew chloroplast. Do you remove marks or not? Explain.

CrazCo, we can't really give answers here just hints which might be useful to you. What I would propose is:

1. You can't have nucleus making up the whole cell, or ribosomes making the whole cell either. There just needs to be certain value of how much space each organelle can take so there is enough room for all of them. (tough I don't really understand the question clearly)

2. You can very easily find that out by knowing what does each organelle do. What is the advantage that each part gives to car? Piece of cake:!

3. Just look up what ribosomes do (protein synthesis) , what Golgi apparatus do (excretion) and what is the particular function of stomach lining!

4. Only plant have chloroplasts (plastids). So is amoeba an animal or a plant?

Guessing you mean

1) So you can judge how big each organelle will be in order for all of them to fit inside the cell? Couldn't it also be for identification as eukaryotic cells are bigger than prokaryotic, etc.?

2) To allow the cell to perform necessary life functions and survive?

3) Yea.. i'll have to do that

4) Amoeba is an animal I'm guessing

I cant find anything on stomach lining, no defintion, nothing :confused:

1) You have to think about what a bigger cell has does it surface area to volume ratio get larger or smaller.

Then what effects might this have on the cell, such as not having as much area compare to volume on a membrane, you will have to look up why that is important. And is something is larger will the same amount of molecules make the same concentration of molecules and what effect will this have?

2) If something is concealed behind a membrane (working as a barrier) this means whatever is inside the that membrane is independent of the exterior (to an extent) so what does that mean you can achieve by having organelles inside of a cell?

3) You need to look up what those two organelles do and then look at what the stomach does as an organ and then work out why doing that would need more of those organelles.

2) To allow the cell to perform necessary life functions and survive?

That is an oversimplified view of organelles functions. There is an elegant harmony that exists in the well-functioning of the cell. The function of one organelle might be depended from the function of the other. This is why the cell works as a single unified unit.

i.e. Ribosomes produce proteins. But to produce proteins they need the information how aminoacids must be arranged in the polypeptidic line. That is what ARNi is for. ARNi contains the codons, but something must contain the anti-codons and must transport aminoacids where the synthesis is taking place. That is what ARNt is for. And so on.

I guarantee that you will 100% enjoy everything you read about how the cell works. It's just like a great symphony:D!

4) Amoeba is an animal I'm guessing

It takes a google to confirm that!:D

Cheers,

Shade

You got the amoeba thing right:D!

In fact, althouh in the past the amoeba was concidered as an animal, nowadays is not classified as that.

So, it's neither a plant, nor an animal, but the amoeba doen't have chloroplasts.

partay! :D

What were you trying to tell me anyway in those explanations? haha..

OMG! And I was waiting for my posts to be removed due to 'too clear' explanation>:D ! When will you get the result anyway?

And zule, yes you are right, but I was giving 'rough' hints so CrazCo can understand that amoeba has no chloroplasts, since we are not supposed to give answers directly!

Well every single thing inside the cell has a specific function, and due to the harmonization of the functions of every organelle cells work as a since unit.

Ribosomes produce proteins. They are made of ARNr combining with some enzymes. What proteins actually do is translate the combination of nitrogen bases in the combination of aminoacis in the polypeptidic line. Proteins can combine 5-40 to form polysomes or polyribisomes.

Mitochondria is another organelle where the aerobic 'breathing' takes place. The processes that occur inside mitochondria are typically catabolic. Also in mitochondria there occurs Krebs Cycle which generates a lot of ATP (energy molecules) that cell need to perform its physiological processes.

Lysosomes have the complete garnish of enzymes which when released have the ability to dissolve different molecules (carbohydrates, proteins, lipids). Linked with lososomes are also the terms heterofag andautofag, which mean those enzymes can dissolve other materials or the cell itself.

Golgi apparatus, another organelle which when found more than once in a cell is called dictyosome. It's function is excretion and also the synthesis of glucoproteins.

Endoplasmatic reticulum which can me rough and smooth. It's function is transport and (when rough) also protein synthesis. It is called rough because is has ribosome on it.

And you can read online about other organelles function too.

This is what the advantage is. Every organelle does something for the cell, making so possible the survival of the cell itself!

edit: if I have done any grammatical error ignore it, I hate checking it all over again!