Make an "international" section!

Perhaps you could add a section of the forum that could be for those non-english speaking among us. You could advertise it on the front page so they wouldn't be turned away by all the English.

And if you are wondering how to moderate it, you might just recruit multi-lingual members to moderate it.

I think this is a great way to have more members and let more people use this site, 'specially since it's better than the other ones I've seen.

Perhaps you'd do just smaller forums for them, basics, like "general discussion," "mathematics," "astronomy," and that sort. You don't want to spend too much forum space, since English is the primary part.

We'll have to get Blike or Faf over here to see this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I suppose if you discount everyone who used a regional derision of English (Americanese, South African English) you are probably right.

I swear South Africans just insert Afrikaan words into sentences just to watch the reaction. You just stand there for a bit trying to work out if you misheard them, or the middle of the sentence really was gibberish.

But this is beyond the point. The question is, will it get implimented? I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to make the forum for it, but the hard part is finding the people to moderate it. It just takes some more organization to get it all together, not much, really.

"speak enough english to communicate" doesn't always mean they can very well. Even if you don't want to make a big section of the forum for it, you could at least make one board for those who would like to speak some other language since they don't know English well. It could get rather confusing if they tried to explain in english but they couldn't.

What I mean is that you have a bit with, say, a spanish mod and a french mod, and just let people go and post if they don't know how to put it in english.

What I mean is that you have a bit with, say, a spanish mod and a french mod, and just let people go and post if they don't know how to put it in english.

The difficulty is finding a spanish mod and a french mod.

Faf says he know French... so I suppose in our 1800 and some members there's probably quite a few people that can speak good spanish.

Or even some spaniards themselves.

How many of them do we want to become mods, though.

Right... couldn't they just mod the international section? Then you wouldn't have a mod running amok destroying the forums...

It's fairly pointless putting someone in charge of a section which is just as, if not more, representative of the forum than any other given forum if you can't trust them.