Chlorate guide

dom3mo

I saw a couple of threads with people asking about chlorate related questions so heres a guide roughly based on wouters guide. Note:take the same steps as preparing potassium chlorate to prepare barium chlorate.

1. Cell construction

Anodes are the electrodes that don't bubble as much as the other electrode "the cathode". Since most metals will not produce chlorate when used as an anode only a handful of metals will work. Here is a list of all the anodes No other metal will work as an anode except for these.

Platinum: Don,t waste this metal on chlorate production.

Graphite or carbon rods: Graphite corrodes a lot especially when salt concentration's go down. Carbon rods can be dipped in linseed oil to work better.

Lead dioxide: Mostly used in perchlorate making although can be used in chlorate making.

Magenite: "Not sure if I spelled this right" this electrode barely corrodes even at low salt concentration's, but current efficiency will suffer when using this metal.

Here are some rare anodes little info is known.

Mixed Metal oxide

Manganese Dioxide

Spinal Cobalt Oxide

Cathodes are the bubbly electrodes almost all metals can be used copper or titanium are good cathodes.

2.Cell run time

Well heres some basic time for production of sodium chlorate and potassium chlorate

30 grams of NACI running at 0ne amp takes 6 days to convert

30 of KCI running at 1 amp takes 4 days to convert.

3. Removal of product

Potassium chlorate will electrolyze at the bottom and top of the cell. This makes it so you will have to boil the solution and add water until all the chlorate is dissolved, then pass it through a filter to separate the corrsion stuff from the chlorate.

If you make sodium chlorate just boil until cyrstals appear.

4.Purifying the product

To separate chloride from the chlorate wash the product with ice water "i've had trouble with doing this method"

Another purifying method for potassium and barium chlorate is to recrystallize the chlorate to separate the chloride from the chlorate. Take 30 grams of crop per a 100 ml of water. Boil and add water until all crop is dissolved. Cool and crystals of potassium chlorate or barium chlorate should form. Repeating this is recomened.

5. Testing for chlorate

All chlorate react with sulfuric acid showing more then 20% of chlorate is present. Try a Google search for this because I don't have a lot of info .

I don't generally take advice from someone who;

1 Specifies the anode as the electrode that bubbles less. In an ideal world it wouldn't bubble at all. Anyway, it's the one connected to the positive terminal of the supply.

2 Doesn't realise that the platinum isn't used up so it's not a waste.

3 Thinks this "Spinal Cobalt Oxide" is anything but laughable.

4 Thinks that the symbol for chlorine is CI

5 Doesn't mention, or perhaps know, that the reaction of chlorate with H2SO4 is potentially dangerously explosive.