Singlet oxygen production in fluorescence microscopy

Vagus

Hey, first time post so take it easy on my noobishness :)

Wasn't exactly sure if this should go under chemistry or physics considering that im a biologist so i just chucked it here.

We know that molecular oxygen (O2) quenches fluorescent species. We are observing light-dependent rises in fluorescence (we've controlled for more light more F) that have been attributed to a reduction in the solution's [O2]. My question is kinda simple, knowing little about it, does light produce singlet oxygen from O2?

Haven't started drinkin yet so my google searches have lacked creativity thus far. :)

My question is kinda simple, knowing little about it, does light produce singlet oxygen from O2?

Yes it does. At least UV does.

And the addition of various photosensitizers, like flavins, which are commonly found in biological fluids can lead to the generation of more singlet oxygen.

Figured about the UV, but unless Chroma has been tellin it wrong, the filters we are using have maximum excitation around 490 nm and emission is usually 540... The graphs of these indicate that there should be no UV component.

Additionally, the only organic component we have used so far is the dye itself. So does visible light have a UV-like ability to produce singlet oxygen?