Star Trek Technology?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Do you think we can make Star Trek technology?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think we can make Star Trek technology?

• Not at all.
    • Some of it.
    • All of it!
    • Only if we change the laws of physics...

I don't think there are that many intelligent aliens, also its about the "fact" that they all look alike and talk english I won't even BEGIN to say how taht's illogical :P

However, I think that many of what we see in startrek may well be invented - pehaps not the exact same, but certainly ideas and concepts.

By the way - I seriously have troubles with the "aliens" part of startrek, other than that I think it shows a FAIR (not complete and entirely scientific, but certainly FAIR) view of what the future may be like.

They also try to base everything on real physics, so it gives it a realistic aspect.. and means we might be able to actully build similar things in the future.

~moo

There's a reason why most races in Star Trek are humanoid.

See TNG: "The Chase".

Most races' languages can be translated by a starship's (or a hand-held) universal translator (later incorporated into com-badges).

Sometimes they have problems, see TNG: "Darmok".

It wasn't always so easy to figure out what people were saying, see ENT: "Fight or Flight".

Yeah I've seen it... pittiful attempt of an explanation. I don't even think aliens we wuold meet in space have LEGS and ARMS and EYES for that matter, they should be COMPLETELY different from anything we see on earth - not just "makeup different" but then again - if they'd do that on every episode, we'd go nuts rying to figure out whats alive and whats... err.. not :P

And about langs - I know, but still, they're even similar to us by their ability to SPEAK.

I know there are aliens that don't speak but I am saying i find it more probable that MOST aliens we will find (if there are so many of them out there) would look and appear SO DIFFERENT than us we might not even understand they're living.

But anyways - what do you think of the technology itself, sayo? As another Startrek Fan?

~moo

Sayonara³ said in post # :

There's a reason why most races in Star Trek are humanoid.

See TNG: "The Chase".

Yes, but in a different episode (encounter at farpoint) Q shows them early life forming. So unless humans didn't come from that, and they came intelligent (unlike what fossils show), it's possible.

Warp drives are said to travel (much) faster than light (it's an exponential scale)...

Inertial dampeners are actually more plausible than a warp drive, because they only involve generating a gravitational field opposite to the reaction force.

Warp drives don't work with conventional propulsion; with conventional propulsion it's impossible; but the warp drive works by warping space-time; it is within the realm of possibility.

The most unfeasible technology in the series is the transporter. The transporters in ST are said to actually transport matter, not just information about that matter. Disassembling matter and reassembling it in the exact same state is ridiculous.

For a good discussion of all the Star Trek technology, read this book.

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

Yes, but in a different episode (encounter at farpoint) Q shows them early life forming. So unless humans didn't come from that, and they came intelligent (unlike what fossils show), it's possible.

How does "humans came from that goo there that we didn't see forming" preclude "humans came from that goo there that we didn't see forming, but which was seeded here 3 years ago by some space people"?

And it was "All Good Things...", not E@F.

mooeypoo said in post # :

But anyways - what do you think of the technology itself, sayo? As another Startrek Fan?

Same as faf really.

Interestingly, since ST first aired we have developed hyposprays, PADDs, phasers (sort of), multi-lingual translators, and tricorders (as near as damnit).

We're working on cloaking effects, matter tele-transfer (kind of), and biobeds (which is more a question of cost-benefit comparison rather than being actually difficult to do).

fafalone said in post #10 :

The most unfeasible technology in the series is the transporter. The transporters in ST are said to actually transport matter, not just information about that matter. Disassembling matter and reassembling it in the exact same state is ridiculous.

For a good discussion of all the Star Trek technology, read this book.

hahaa

not bad, or else the Enterprise would have needed to land on every planet they explored, and that won't work.

I have that book 1/4 year ago; never got around to reading it yet.

:(

Sayonara³ said in post #12 :

Same as faf really.

Interestingly, since ST first aired we have developed hyposprays, PADDs, phasers (sort of), multi-lingual translators, and tricorders (as near as damnit).

We have tricorders?

fafalone said in post # :

Warp drives don't work with conventional propulsion; with conventional propulsion it's impossible; but the warp drive works by warping space-time; it is within the realm of possibility.

If I have understood it correctly, Warp Engines creates one or more "bubles" around the ship. Each of those bubles can move inside the buble outside of it with the speed of light or close to it, and with the ship in the innermost buble. Thus giving the ship an exponential faster-than-light speed.

I have no idea if we can make something like that, but I hope we get some kind of faster-than-light travel.

I want warpspeed or hyperspeed!

Err wait, faf did you say "warping space-time" ?? I was just asking abuot this in my other thread ("Folding universe..") and got the answer that we *cant* control this (or "warp space ourselves") but only use "prewarped" err.. space..

okay now I'm REALLY confused.... I actually asked my question to figure out about the entire warpdrive things (as I said in my thread) and now i'm even more confused :P

Can you PLEASE give me a tinsy bit of info about warpdrives and how they're physically (at least theoretically) possible?

By the way, how 'bout forcefields? Are they possible?

oh and YEAH I agree completely, I voted "Most things" can be done. Startrek is ingenious, and even if not everything can be done it certainly gave a few very good ideas to start from ;)

~moo

I will probably say the GEEKEST thing right now, but what-the-heck:

I'm part of an RPG (role playing game) organization as an engineer on a starbase. Other than the fact I need to say technobabble most of time (and avoid troubles yadda yadda) I also wanna know what I'm basing my technobabble on :P

help would be appreciated. Most of the things I can find logic in but I have been having troubles with the warp drives..

It doesn't REALLY matter 'cause a starbase doesn't have warpdrives (luckily ;p ) but well.. i'd appreciate sources if you have any to understanding the tech.

~moo

I vote some of it.

one of the amazing things in retrospect is the use of little hand held cominicators and the badges that are coms too. we can do that today!

I remember watching and old Flash Gordon episode the once and I`ll never forget a classic line in there "Flash grab the portable radio" and he did, it was on a shelf and the size of a large TV set :)

we only need to look at mobile fone technology to see that we`ve not only caught up, but surpassed quite a bit of Star Trek apparatus already :)

I'm pretty sure that the explenation used in Star Trek is that a duplicate of you is assembled in another place, and the original version of you is destroyed. I think that this explenation is slightly different than your explenation. Maybe not.

hm....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

Wasn't there one episode where Riker gets screwed up or whatnot, and then they create a 2nd original version of Riker who goes on to be the same RIker throughout the series...

And the screwed up one lives a harsh life or something like that.

When they created the 2nd RIker, didn't they take the information before his teleportation out?

They didn't destroy the other molecular version of him. The information is stored for each person as data. They sometimes use this information to cure an illness, because you have a stored version of you that was not ill at the time.

Pincho.

Wow here's a though! If it were ever possible to really store the inforamtion of somebody as a list of data, you could produce a data wave from photons, and send them light years away. There might even be other medium that could be used to send you back in time. You would be reproduced from molecules from the past, but your real molecules would remain in this time.

Pincho.