Why inhale deeply and hold it when X-ray imaging ?

smiles

It is easier to hold your breath and keep still long enough if you breathe in rather than out, as you take longer to get the urge to breathe again. In addition full expansion of the lungs may help to show up things that may otherwise be hidden, as air is more tranparent - even to x-rays.

I don't get it. Could you explain what you mean please?

Just think that you mean movement here is body movement :doh: , ... so what exactly the movement that you mean ? Air movement ? If yes, could you tell me the role of it ?

Thanks so much !!!

Just think that you mean movement here is body movement :doh: , ... so what exactly the movement that you mean ? Air movement ? If yes, could you tell me the role of it ?

Thanks so much !!!

No, not air movement. When you breath in and out, chest and the lower part of stomach moves. And in order these moves to be soft, you have to breath in and out quiet slowly. Cause' if you do it on a rapid way, your moves will be faster and that might obscure the image.:D

X-rays are a long exposure compared to the speeds used in normal photography, so any movement of ribs, shoulders, internal organs will blur things, like fine cracks in ribs, the shape of lymph nodes in the chest cavity, the curve of major blood vessels. So, you need to keep absolutely still for the duration of the time exposure.

X-rays are a long exposure compared to the speeds used in normal photography, so any movement of ribs, shoulders, internal organs will blur things, like fine cracks in ribs, the shape of lymph nodes in the chest cavity, the curve of major blood vessels. So, you need to keep absolutely still for the duration of the time exposure.

Yup!!!:D

No, not air movement. When you breath in and out, chest and the lower part of stomach moves. And in order these moves to be soft, you have to breath in and out quiet slowly. Cause' if you do it on a rapid way, your moves will be faster and that might obscure the image.:D

Yeah !!! Thanks you very much :D

Anybody do yoga? Deep inhalation quiets and stills the body. The technique has been used since the old half second exposure cameras.

Deep inhalation can cause acidosis and agitation unless you slow it right down too, which is of course part of the yoga technique.

When I was studying Physiology I experimented with it and could get down to 4 breaths a minute, which dropped my pulse rate and blood pressure. It also got me involved in being wired up for Physiology experiments and in that stage we found Angiotensin had no effect on my blood pressure - presumably my arteries were fully constricted.

In that state, I inevitably fell asleep eventually.

• 1 month later...

To get a better view of the lungs. Inhalation spreads the lungs out over maximum volume thus increasing the surface area viewable while simultaneously decreasing the density and thus allowing for better penetration of the x-rays.