Question re this site!

Psyber

As a Newbie at this site - just to get up to speed - is there some historical reason why the Politics section is "Private"??

I recognise that it is easier to have political debate when all the posters are in one country and are debating similar issues. Even in an Oz-based site I use we have problems with people from different states not quite grasping what the others are on about. I imagine international politics can get even more heated than national ones.

Perhaps I have put up some answers to my own question...

you need to have a certain postcount before you can access it.

this helps prevents a lot of utter morons we were getting from trolling. a more elegant solution would have been desirable but alas there is now way round human behaviour and this at least filters it a bit.

That makes sense I guess. Politics is a troublesome issue and there are many provocateurs out there.

I have read The Spectator for years, and have some interest in UK politics because I am coming to work there in mid-2008. I have part-time consultancy work lined up although I have been offered, and turned down, full time jobs in Inverness and Leeds.

I think your post count needs to be 50 to post in Politics. To insane_alien's point, you will also notice that you cannot see posts in the Politics forum when not logged in (viewing as a Guest). This is a again to ward off hit and run trolls who have no intention to adding to the value and content of the forums as a whole.