DNA polymerization

grayfalcon89

Hi,

I've been reviewing my knowledge for DNA stuffs, and one thing confuses me ---- DNA polymerization. I thought that DNA polymerization meant elogation of DNA in Polymerase Chain Reaction. I then assumed that this is another way of saying DNA replication.

But I asked my teacher for assistance before break, and he said that it's not DNA replication, but rather, the process is called dehydration synthesis, and phosphate and sugar are involved in DNA polymerization.

This confuses me because it's contradictory to what I've been reading in my review books and internet.

Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks!

Look up:

1. TAQ polymerase

2. nucleoside

3. deoxyribose

Absolutely not in that order!

I am not exactly sure of what you are asking for. Your post implies explicit knowledge of the above, but to me, quoting http://www.mansfield.ohio-state.edu/~sabedon/biol1060.htm, "DNA replication is more accurately described as polymerization. The enzyme which catalyzes this polymerization is called, not surprisingly, DNA polymerase. "

Do you need the mechanism?

Cheers,

O3

Technically you and your teacher are talking about similar things but on different levels.

The process of DNA polymerization is dehydration synthesis, catalyzed by a DNA-dependent DNA polymerase. It is a part of DNA replication, but does not constitute all of the reactions that are required for in vivo DNA replication.