Help needed in extraction of polymers

sathish_1707

Hi all.... This is sathish and i am dng my final yr engg in biotechnology. I would like to do project on extraction of polymers from plants, fruits or by some natural means.. So i selected four polymers(LIGNIN,PECTIN,STARCH,POLYLACTICACID). I searched everywhere and i dont find any good protocols/procedure for extraction of above polymers. So anyone can hlp me out to find procedures ffor extraction of above polymers.Any hlp wil b greatful.Thanks in advance

Sorry... I am actually new to this forum. So i not aware of these things sir. Please forgive me this time.

Don't worry man, it's no big deal, just be a little more formal, nothing more!;)

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but take a look at this:

http://sriconsulting.com/SRIC/Public/NewsEventsArt/ACSBohlmann.pdf

Don't worry man, it's no big deal, just be a little more formal, nothing more!;)

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but take a look at this:

http://sriconsulting.com/SRIC/Public/NewsEventsArt/ACSBohlmann.pdf

Actually i am looking for the extraction procedues of strach and some polymers. Anyway thanks for what u did...

Hi Sathish - I did not take any offense to your question. I'm not sure why darkshade did, but don't worry much about it.

I do not know the answer to your question, but I'm confident that someone here will. Since it's the holidays for many of us, forum participation is down, and it's not as active as it usually is.

If you're able to be patient and wait a few days, hopefully someone will respond with more useful information soon.

Good luck. :)

Hi Sathish - I did not take any offense to your question. I'm not sure why darkshade did, but don't worry much about it.

I do not know the answer to your question, but I'm confident that someone here will. Since it's the holidays for many of us, forum participation is down, and it's not as active as it usually is.

If you're able to be patient and wait a few days, hopefully someone will respond with more useful information soon.

Good luck. :)

Thank u for ur kind advice. I am waiting and i hope i will suceed. I am too searching for those things but not getting the exact procedures. Anyway thnx for ur great motivation and i believe i am in a right place for my queries.:)

If you want the starch, you could:

1. finely divide the material

2. Boil the material in water; this degranulates the starch and renders it soluble.

3. Fractionally precipitate the starch from the water with ethanol (of some other suitable solvent).

Alternatively, the liquor can be pressed from the material and re-boiled with s *small* amount of decolorizing carbon (Norit or equivalent) and filtered (buchner funnel over celite) prior to precipitation.

There are other ways, but this one is rather inexpensive (particularly when compared to column chromatography over sephadex or analytical GPC).

Oh yes, amylopectin (pectin) and amylose are components of "starch". Amylopectin is a highly branched compound whilst amylose is a tighly wound helical molecule. Of interest is that amylopectin is red when complexed with I2 and amylose is emerald green.

Merry Christmas,

O3

If you want the starch, you could:

1. finely divide the material

2. Boil the material in water; this degranulates the starch and renders it soluble.

3. Fractionally precipitate the starch from the water with ethanol (of some other suitable solvent).

Thank u very much. I think that might b useful for my exraction process. I wil try this method for extraction and wil tel u results in two r three days. Once again thank u.