The Planetary Society

Reaper

I've been thinking about joining it for a little while now, but before I spend my money on it ($30.00 a year), I'm just wondering; what exactly does it do? And what exactly does it offer? What type of events do they hold? I've been looking at the website, but I want to hear from people who actually know something about it. Also, I think one member here, can't remember who though, did state that they were a member of it.

I've been a member for years! They have regular publications describing what is happening in planetary research and mission updates. They have several people in Washington trying to get bills passed that will allow us to explore the Cosmos. They hold regular events, and members get discounts at most astronomical observatories through the country. They also have annual events and viewings, and when there are ecclipses they organize large group events to travel and view them... like in Africa or wherever the best viewing location is.

It's basically an advocacy group, trying to continue our exploration of space. They were the ones behind the solar sail project, which unfortunately never made it to space since the rocket failed on launch, but now they're doing another.

They had a huge hand in the Mars rovers, and students from local schools were brought in (based on an essay contest, winners were chosen) to actually steer the rovers! They also, much like the golden record on voyager, put a dvd with the names of all members onto the rovers... so now my name is on Mars!

I joined because it's so fascinating to me. It reminds me of my dreams as a child, and I eagerly read each new issue when it arrives in the mail. I have actually been saving the most recent issue and will be reading it this holiday. Thing is, it never lasts long enough, and with a good cup of coffee I'll be through it within an hour!

The benefit is the feel good part, and the being connected to what's going on right now. It's also the events and conferences about research, and findings. Like when we flew out to Saturn, they hosted events around the nation to see the first close up pictures when we passed through the rings.

I am pretty sure Carl Sagan was one of the founders, and now Bill Nye is like their VP.

They are about education, and getting policy changed, and funds directed, and just inspiring people.

Hmmmm... Maybe THEY should be paying ME. :D

They had a huge hand in the Mars rovers, and students from local schools were brought in (based on an essay contest, winners were chosen) to actually steer the rovers! They also, much like the golden record on voyager, put a dvd with the names of all members onto the rovers... so now my name is on Mars!

Really? That's pretty neat.

The benefit is the feel good part, and the being connected to what's going on right now. It's also the events and conferences about research, and findings.

Do they frequent events near the Boston area, because I live around there. I wouldn't mind if they didn't though, but it would be nice to actually be part of those events.

I am pretty sure Carl Sagan was one of the founders,

He is one of the founders, which is why this organization caught my interest.

and now Bill Nye is like their VP.

You mean Bill Nye the Science Guy? I used to watch that show all the time when I was a little kid:D. He seems a bit aged now.

They are about education, and getting policy changed, and funds directed, and just inspiring people.

Gives me one more reason to join it then ;). I'm going to look into it and I'll let you guys know when I'm actually a member. I better not be disappointed.