water and fission

archer-123

Hello. I have certain ideas for a computer games Serious Sam 3, and I would like to ask about certain fission here. So, the sniper rifle, in my vision, has a single drop of water instead of gunpowder. And thanks to some sort of fission, it acts just as the above powder, because energy of its molecules is released thanks to fission. And also the speed of the above bullet is twice as fast, when compared to the bullet with usual gunpowder, talking about the same rifle. So that is my question, that is, will I make a fool of myself :doh: if I suggest this idea on SS3 forum? Thanks if you know. :)

if you want Twice (or MANY MANY times more power) from a bullet use something that will Detonate Proper, gunpowder only burns real fast to make gas, a Detonation rips the Molecules apart in an instant to make the gas, Much more realistic and better than anything you could get from Fission at that scale :)

of course you Will need some Serious gun modifications!

And thanks to some sort of fission, it acts just as the above powder, because energy of its molecules is released thanks to fission.
Well, I doubt that practically there can be any sort of that fission (then it'd be micro-fission) small enough only for shooting a bullet. And you mentioned water, in nuclear reactors water is used as a moderator (to slow down neutrons) because it does not absorb neutrons, so it makes possible nuclear reactions. So I can't really figure out how does that sniper work!!!:doh:

and of course, the entirely Obvious has been overlooked! :doh:

a Sniper would NEVER use supersonic rounds! they use Sub-Sonic rounds that won`t give their position away!

lemme explain, when you fire a supersonic round, it doesn`t matter what silencer or baffles you use, it`s the bullet itself that Also makes a Bang (sonic boom) as it travels through breaking the sound barrier.

Sub-Sonic rounds won`t do this, so your silencer or baffles will work perfectly.

I think you are thinking of fusion, as fission would be related to heavy elements like plutonium and uranium, not the hydrogen in water. If you have a gun-sized fusion device, you would probably be better off using the thing as an energy weapon, an ion/plasma gun, as trying to accelerate a bullet with that would require insane strengthening that would make the gun unliftable even if it were even possible. The nice thing about energy weapons is that they do not need to lead, hence very high accuracy even at large distances.

How do you keep the reaction from happening before you shoot?

I have no idea, but I was encouraged after Star Trek. In Star Trek, almost everything is possible, particularly if you encounter a Borg cube as big as Jupiter. So I hoped, perhaps someone here would have an approximate idea. Obviously I was wrong. I just don't know whom to blame for now: me, you, both, or Enterprise? :eyebrow:

and of course, the entirely Obvious has been overlooked! :doh:

a Sniper would NEVER use supersonic rounds! they use Sub-Sonic rounds that won`t give their position away!

lemme explain, when you fire a supersonic round, it doesn`t matter what silencer or baffles you use, it`s the bullet itself that Also makes a Bang (sonic boom) as it travels through breaking the sound barrier.

Sub-Sonic rounds won`t do this, so your silencer or baffles will work perfectly.

Well, this was an interesting read. Yes, I forgot about silence of the lambs, or silence behind the moon, talking about Apollo 13. So then it wouldn't be a sniper, rather a rifle, although with sight graticule.

Speaking of the graticule, I also wonder, what was that advanced rifle in movie Erase all about? I know little about weapons, even though I have several ideas for the darn game, and I suppose it wasn't X-rays? So what was it? With this weapon, you are able to see organs, like heart of the target, kidneys, whatever. I would like to know something about that too, as for my drop of water, I think I'll invent a more powerful bullet instead, rather than mess with gunpowder, water and fission. Oh well, there goes an interesting idea. Just like that. :-(

well, I don`t know exactly what you mean by that anthony hopkins film, but I`m Pretty sure guns were not used, and I can equally assure you that the info I`v given you is from an entirely different source also (in other words not films TV or games).

the Detonating compound in the bullet would be fine for Armor piercing rounds though :)

in fact done correctly it would make a Barret 50 cal look like a squirt gun :)

I was assuming the fission vaporized the water, with the resulting expansion propelling the bullet.

That would be an interesting idea, and much more technologically feasible. It would have an advantage in maximum bullet speed, fine control over the pressure, and might leave no trace from where it were fired (would need no shells and would leave only water vapor).

and if you DID have this little glowing "Sun" in your gun (no... Not son of a gun), you would have no way of delivering the water to it without catastrophic Blow-Back.

unless you`re thinking of a Steam powered gun with a steam reservoir?

didn`t Da Vinci try that only to Utterly fail!?

I have no idea, but I was encouraged after Star Trek. In Star Trek, almost everything is possible, particularly if you encounter a Borg cube as big as Jupiter. So I hoped, perhaps someone here would have an approximate idea. Obviously I was wrong. I just don't know whom to blame for now: me, you, both, or Enterprise? :eyebrow:

Ok, if you're taking the ST path. No problem; I've done that before. Just come up with a buzzword or two whenever you need to violate a law of physics. The problem of keeping the bullet from firing? "Stasis field" or a "neutrino inhibitor" (as in, neutrinos keeping the reactions from happening) , or an "annular confinement beam." Maybe the material involved is "phased matter." Have fun with it.

Electrically vaporized water, petrol and paraffin have all been tried and abandoned due to the inability to get precise charge repetition, resulting in differing trajectories.

Attempts to build a particle ray weapon were abandoned when it proved impossible to improve on a range of about 200 yards (USA measurements) but I cannot recall which particle. Lasers ray weapons are subject to visibility problems and are easily reflected. The French were reported to have had some success with sound waves on at least two separate occasions; and I recall that someone developed a defense to sound weapons by building a cage consisting of layers of metal rods where the distance between rods was equal to the diameter of the rods. Such are the useless bits of information that get stuck in ones mind!

Speaking personally, I never got further than making rockets from abandoned charge bags (cordite) and home made gunpowder. Our schoolboy ventures were brought to an end with suitable punishment;when we blew the capping stone off a church wall.