Does everyone believe the Echelon network is needed?

Ice_Phoenix87

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

Like, maybe, Afghanistan before we took them over. HAHA! "We just heard your leader talking about blowing us up! What will you do about it?"

No, we share it with the good guys.

Are you saying that it's not just ok to occupy other countries and oppress the government, but it's also funny?

Perhaps opinions like that are why the NSA want a system like Echelon?

Sayonara³ said in post #6 :

Are you saying that it's not just ok to occupy other countries and oppress the government, but it's also funny?

Perhaps opinions like that are why the NSA want a system like Echelon?

That's not what I meant.

MrL_JaKiri said in post #7 :

It's ok, it'll all end when JC Denton blows up Area 51.

Area 51 moved.

Here.

edit:

What happened to my link?

Cheetah said in post # :

The NSA has no right to monitor all telecommunication. And who are they to say who are good and bad?

Saying what's good or bad is not in their mandate. Intercepting terrorist and seditionist communiques is.

Somehow I don't think they're interested in who Kyle kissed behind the bike sheds, or who's got the biggest MP3 collection.

Ice_Phoenix87 said in post # :

it isnt some stupid idea from SciFi movie or anything, Echelon network is real!! would u like me to explain how it works and who runs it, etc?

osama q hitler terrorist bush white house kill.

THEY'RE ONTO ME

In the greatest surveillance effort ever established, the US National Security Agency (NSA) has created a global spy system, codename ECHELON, which captures and analyzes virtually every phone call, fax, email and telex message sent anywhere in the world. ECHELON is controlled by the NSA and is operated in conjunction with the Government Communications Head Quarters (GCHQ) of England, the Communications Security Establishment (CSE) of Canada, the Australian Defense Security Directorate (DSD), and the General Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) of New Zealand. These organizations are bound together under a secret 1948 agreement, UKUSA, whose terms and text remain under wraps even today. The ECHELON system is fairly simple in design: position intercept stations all over the world to capture all satellite, microwave, cellular and fiber-optic communications traffic, and then process this information through the massive computer capabilities of the NSA, including advanced voice recognition and optical character recognition (OCR) programs, and look for code words or phrases (known as the ECHELON “Dictionary”) that will prompt the computers to flag the message for recording and transcribing for future analysis. Intelligence analysts at each of the respective “listening stations” maintain separate keyword lists for them to analyze any conversation or document flagged by the system, which is then forwarded to the respective intelligence agency headquarters that requested the intercept.