Programming!

thedarkshade

don't take this personally, but rather take it as a 'welcome to programming world' 'hugg' thing, but you just made me smile..

it's "executable", darling, not "runnable".

But "runnable" is so cute, I'm considering using it from now on.. ;)

Welcome to programmingworld ;)

~moo

don't take this personally, but rather take it as a 'welcome to programming world' 'hugg' thing, but you just made me smile..

it's "executable", darling, not "runnable".

But "runnable" is so cute, I'm considering using it from now on.. ;)

Welcome to programmingworld ;)

~moo

:D :D :D thanks for the warm welcome mooeypoo, but can I program EXECUTABLE programs with Liberty basic?

A friend of mine gave a program called LibertyBasic, and it seems very practical and easy to be handled!

I was wondering if i can make runnable programs out of it, not just script ones??

You can compile BASIC to a native executable.

You can do the same thing with Python.

Check out py2exe

• 1 month later...

I started off on qbasic when I was 8. I think it is a good place to start when you know nothing but it is hard to do anything too advanced. Also try to download Games Factory 1.0 (it's free now) it is very very simple to use and you can make a simple game in around an hour but you won't be able to make convincing A.I or anything like that.

I got started with Python (like may here proposed me) and I found it quiet good for a beginner, then moved on to Basic and now I'm working on C++, but it's hell of complicated language!

Any reason you moved to C++ rather than sticking with Python?

Garbage collection is something of a Faustian bargain but generally you're better off being in a garbage collected language.

The main reason is the funarg problem: there's lots of higher level stuff you can do, particularly with loops, which requires garbage collection (i.e. functions which close over their surrounding lexical scope, otherwise known as closures)

Beyond that, garbage collection improves performance in a number of cases. Have a look at this benchmark:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=binarytrees〈=all

This is a benchmark that stresses how a language manages memory. But you may not think that at first, the actual subject at hand is binary trees, an area where you'd think C would be the clear winner.

However, the winners are all garbage collected languages.

Haskell, Standard ML, Erlang, and Lisp all beat C. This is because malloc()/free() lack the sort of insight into an application's memory usage that a garbage collector can have, and consequently manage memory poorly in comparison.

This is the same reason Firefox uses hundreds of megs of memory. It's not so much that all that memory is in use or leaked, but rather most of it is used by highly fragmented pages which may never be reclaimed.