Why does light refract?

Atlantic

Well, from what i know, it slows down becuase of the change in density, but, you'll need to make sure. This is the diagram i was given.

You can also imagine a car instead of this, if one side of the car enters sand from road first, those slow down, turning the car slightly. This is what i know about it :)

light.gif

• 7 months later...

It is very simple.

Light as it pass through a optical tranparent material, gets absorbed by the material (exciting an electron to higher energy level) and emitted as the excited electron goes back to a lower energy state. This in effect, will seem to slow down the speed of light in the optical medium due to a series process of absorbtion and trasmission of visible light photons. The slowing of speed of light causes refraction of light.

This means that the optical tranparent material must have energy band gap that is sensitive to optical frequencies, so that they can absorb light photons.

It is very simple.

Light as it pass through a optical tranparent material' date=' gets absorbed by the material (exciting an electron to higher energy level) and emitted as the excited electron goes back to a lower energy state. This in effect, will seem to slow down the speed of light in the optical medium due to a series process of absorbtion and trasmission of visible light photons. The slowing of speed of light causes refraction of light.

This means that the optical tranparent material must have energy band gap that is sensitive to optical frequencies, so that they can absorb light photons.[/quote']

Those aren't real states, they are virtual ones. If the medium has real states - i.e. the band gap is in the optical - you will get absorption, and the material won't be transparent.