measuring power usage

brianmay27

Ok i have a feeling this is not the write forum to post this in but someone may know

So i want to have something that can measure how much power i use. Main purpose is i want to see how much my solar panel collects. So it is in DC and at about 12 volts. Is there a way i can do this? i tried searching but nothing.

Try finding a simple analogue meter (needle over measurement) bob a switch or two in series with the meter and supply. You need to be able to send it through the meter as though its one of the wires for the test then switch back to just wires after. Even a simple coil meter will use a little power and it could be a lot if we are talking small solar panels.

(moved to general physics)

If you can get a clamp meter, you can put it around one wire and measure the current you are generating (it measures the magnetic field and figures the current from that)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamp_meter

Then you use P = IV, and you already said V = 12 Volts

If a clamp-on meter exists which reads out steady-state d.c. current, I am not aware of it. Clamp-ons depend on a CHANGING magnetic field (a.c.) to induce a voltage which can be used as an indicator. imp

Kindly ignore my above paragraph. Recently introduced clamp-on meters are available which measure D. C. current. Sorry. imp