Help on sulphuric acid

dom3mo

The way this is done in reagent preparation is with a catalyst (like the one in a car, only the sulfur gums everything up). It cost 8$ a liter for reagent grade 100% sulfuric acid, it's industrial cheap but only because it is industrially made in large quantities. Burning sulfur, ie brimstone which reminds me of the Black Beard pirate quote

"Come, let us make a hell of our own, and try how long we can bear it." Going into the ship's hold, they closed the hatches, filled several pots with brimstone and set it on fire. Soon the men were coughing and gasping for air from the sulfurous fumes.

This will make you sick. It is not a very good way to make sulfur dioxide either. You will make a mess and ruin your lab. Why you don't have sulfuric acid, I don't know, but it is used to make most of the other acid reagents. And lye is used for most -OH. Elemental sulfur is good for -S- type reactions I think (can't remember). It will bind Hg.

Melvin, in the world of the chemical industry, appart from describing production to the dozy pillocks that are investing in the company, units of mass are not used to describe the quantities of chemical produced. if ou look at the actual number of molecules you will see that for every mol of sulphur you get 1 mol of SO2.

on top of that, if you burned 1 pound of sulphur, you would get 2 pounds of sulphur dioxide as you would need 1 pound of oxygen to burn it in.

S = 32g / mol

O = 16g/mol

SO2 needs 2 lots of O so you need 32g of O and the 32g os S to make a mole of SO2.

if you Wanted to use "Pounds" then you can see that they would Still be in the right ratio as 1:1 (by Mass).

SO2 is one of the Nice ones where the maths are just childs play :)

If you want to make H2SO4, you need SO2.

Unless, of course, you electroylzed CuSO4 solution (I would think the product would be contaminated, though).[/quote

No I mean when S02 is absorbed and is some smoke of gases beside So2 is present when SO2 is being condensed will that make a weak solution.

It depends on what the gases are. If the SO2 is mixed with something like CO2, oxygen, nitrogen, or any of the noble gases, then no problems should arise. If it's something like NO2, H2S, HF, HCl, etc. then you might get contaminated acid.

• 3 weeks later...