bright green environmentalism

Sisyphus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_green_environmentalism

I came across this term which accurately describes my opinions on environmentalism, and which I think also probably describes the "scientifically minded" perspective. It seems like an important distinction among within the broader category of "environmentalists," and it seems to be very much on the rise in public opinion.

Maybe you've heard it before, but I hadn't, and I thought I'd share.

I like it, I like it a lot. :cool:

I've felt this way ever since visiting a cousin in Germany who works for a maglev train company. I saw a video of what these trains are capable of and I think all trains should be converted ASAP. Energy efficient, no contact with car traffic, retrofits alongside highways with 15' of right of way, smooth, fast, no air pollution and the only noise it makes is the wooooooosh as it goes by.

Bright green indeed.

I like this idea also but I have my exceptions. First, I do not understand why some look at it as dark green thought. As an ecominded person myself one think I have noticed is people don’t always pick how they die, not even the most powerful people in the world are free from this. In that if people are in control its sort of like saying people wanted world war two to occur. Obviously there is a limit to our ability to understand and rationalize the real world right now at large as a species. I mean physics is an awesome series of measurements about everything big and large, but we still have nasa accidents if you will. This goes for everything, science included.

So with that reality I think its easy to get platonic and state people learn. Well we don’t understand everything, I mean how much of a trophic disturbance can the world as an ecology take before they start to deteriorate? Do we know this the world over even, what kind of world would exist and three times the current population density? Can we know this?

With the stark reality that for all life extinction is a reality I see it as something that should be part of life in general, which is environmental understanding. I don’t want to get much more basic but if photosynthesis dies out tomorrow how much longer would a lot of life on earth persist? Not that long in all reality. This stuff is vital really, or ecological health is. I think such ties into so much more over all being it is natural selection but this is already a bordering being a rant. Its like you should feel bad because you give a damn if life persists, even if its just a specie of dicot.

I like it too... if the consumers want environmentalism, then I think they'll get it.

I often wonder how fast the green technologies would grow if we simply remove subsidies for oil companies. I think it's this control that's preventing serious development in the 'bright green' movement.