Ron Paul raises over 4 million in one day

ecoli

I'd suggest he has a real chance if all the people talking about him on the internet and helping raise these funds actually GET OFF THEIR ASSES and VOTE. Which, if current fund raising efforts are any sign, they might. ;)

Paul's people do get off their asses. Sign waving events, straw polls, etc. Also, a lot of them seem to be getting into the caucuses, so we'll see.

I have been sharing this a lot, but I'm personally excited because it's a show I watch weekly, but Ron Paul will have the full hour on Meet the Press this Sunday, December 23. Let's see how the exchange with Tim Russert goes. His ideas will be heard, and it's up to him to express them in a way that translates. :)

I'm looking foward to this as well.

Also, he's going to be on the Glenn Beck show (amoung others) soon.

At this point I see no indication that his amazing fundraising (or fund-receiving) is that different from Howard Dean in 2004. He, too, was an internet-fundraising sensation (a picture of him eating a sandwich on his website raised more funds than the most lucrative gold-plate dinners for Bush), was especially popular among college students (your "first time donors"), and was even basically a libertarian running under one of the major parties. And like Paul, he was successfully portrayed as a crazy person by his fellow party members, and like Paul, all the internet hype, enthusiasm of his supporters, and even money in the world couldn't substitute for actual quantity of votes.

I admit, I wasn't paying attention back in 2004 to the primaries. But, I've been around lots of Ron paul based forums, and have read a few comments of political science intellectual types. Seemingly, Ron Paul is unique, and different than Dean is several important ways. Firstly, the differences of political opinion of the rest of the candidates running in his party, and the virtual black hole of coverage from the mainstream media.

People generally only know about Paul if they discover him for themselves... which perhaps lends to the dedication of his supports. I think I read one poll that shows Paul supporters as 88% likely to vote for him in the repub. primaries. Even Huckabee, with his fair share of grassroots support can't top that. I've met more then a few Paulites on the forums that used to be Huckabee (and other neocon) supporters, that are now fiercly devoted to Paul.

Though, Paul's strongest support it, probably, newcomers to the republican party and to the election process. This means two things... it's impossible to judge how much support Paul has, since these people are not included in any poll. Assuming people remember Paul's message, these people will stick to this brand of philosophy, and remain as a new voter block, even if Paul himself doesn't stick around. This is (presumably) good news for the Libertarian party.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fundraising thing reminds me of Howard Dean's campaign.

Yeah, and there are other similarities, too. (See post #74). Frankly, though, the differences between them make Dean look great in comparison. (disclosure: I was a Dean-supporter in 2004 and don't regret it, but wouldn't ever vote for Paul. Bring it on, fellas!)

The fundraising thing reminds me of Howard Dean's campaign.

I honestly don't think so... most of the Dean fundraising was directed by the campaign. Paul's campaign (which is notoriously disorganized and perhaps ineffective) has virtually nothing to do with the fundraising... It just collects the money without putting effort into it.

In hindsight, it was easy to predict. Ron Paul gains in popularity and the mainstream demonizes him.

Good grief.

We all deserve to burn in hell for what we have allowed this country to come to.

Have you noticed that even the Drudge report is on the kill Paul bandwagon?

Drudge has been running a line and image about Bunny Ranch whores and pimps for Paul for several weeks now. They never run anything for more than a day. It looks like an ad. It finally went away today or yesterday.

Just type "hookers for Ron Paul" in Google.

Burn in hell Ron Paul. You are too Democratic for America.

Ron Paul is a joke, but the level of support he has that ignores his horrific flaws turns it a bit sour. He's a traditional right wing christian who seems to have gotten spinned into some kind of libertarian upon the way.

If you want an anti-war liberal, support Kucinich.

Except, say, Jefferson. And all the other guys who believed in personal liberty.

And before you say anything about Paul's stance, his "We The People..." act would... actually, I don't know why I'm going into this. Read it yourself.

Why did he defend the remarks when asked about them in 1996, claiming that they came in the context of "current events and statistical reports of the time"?

So what else did the mainstream media feed you with your daily dose of Fruit Loops today?