Manipulative ideas for Solar system

diggerdoo

:confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to present a science fair project to my small group in science class in class Friday. It is geared toward second grade students. Any ideas like a solar system mobile or anything else that is not a book relating to the solar system?\Something "hands-on.

Thanks for the help

Maybe give them a sense of scale. So, you find a resource that presents the relative scale of planets in the solar system... something like this:

http://www.nineplanets.org/datamax.html#largest

Then, you get actual objects that represent that scale. If you had spherical objects, clearly that would make the link easier to see.

So... the sun is a beach ball. Jupiter is... I dunno, whatever kind of ball is the right scale difference. Then the Earth would be like a tennis ball or something.

I'm just thought surfing here. If you choose to pursue this particular route, I'll let you do do the leg work. Good luck, and enjoy. :)

Btw... Here are some fun ideas:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/resources/s_system/s_system.shtml

I would love it if you'd come back and share the experience with the rest of us. Let us know what types of questions the kids asked and what types of things surprised you while doing this all. :)

Good luck!