freezing time is useless.

whaThehell

heh random thought...probably on the wrong forum to write abt this...why i say this is cause you need infinite energy to freeze time since you need to freeze the whole universe...anyone agree with me?

and even if you could freeze time,you wouldnt be able to do anything cause you wouldnt be able to see a thing since light photons stop moving...

there.i said it.pls reply so i can laugh at my friend for saying im wrong.

There is no universal time, time is 'local'. (it would be impossible to freeze time, but for other reasons)

The speed of light is a constant, so if for instance you had a spaceship going fast enough that time was nearly frozen outside, light (and most everything else) would be behaving normally on the inside.

yes but.. if you could freeze all objects in motion including light. then time of all of the universe is working on the same local clock. zero. without motion you can't have time. your brain can't think, nothing can decay, electrons can't move, time cannot exist at all. if you need something relative to which to determine your speed and your time dilatation, then if everything is the same as you there is no other relative moving thing to compare yourself to, so, your speed would be zero, time would be zero. but only if the entire universe and all of its parts both those that we know of and all those we do not, are at relative speed zero. as soon as the smallest speck of whatever moves, time exists.

whether or not freezing the universe is possible is another story. but i think that at the big bang this could have been possible. and if time started at that point, i think it would have to have been. if the big bang began as a mass of infinite density. or as dense as is possible, just like light moves as quickly as is possible, then the speed of light could be zero. i think it would be too dense for light to propagate. also i think that if too much gravity is around it is enough for light to essentially cease to exist anyways so i don't think you would even need infinite density for that part. but nothing else could move either by definition. because if there is room for stuff to move around then you have not reached maximum density.

Well, I've seen a movie kind of taking that concept, except it was more like moving your own atoms at an incredible pace. It's called Clockstoppers. Good movie. It's got some great science concepts, and a good sense of humor.

Well, I've seen a movie kind of taking that concept, except it was more like moving your own atoms at an incredible pace. It's called Clockstoppers. Good movie. It's got some great science concepts, and a good sense of humor.
Wouldn't that make you age really fast?

The idea has been put forward a number of times in SF. The "Slaver Stasis Field" of Lary Niven is probably the best example.

Create a field within which time has stopped and you have the ultimate defence. Since there is no "time" for anything to occur within the field then nothing inside the field can be effected by any occurrance outside the field.

Nice idea but I don't see how it could actually be done. Maybe later, when we know more, or maybe never.

I think freezing time could be very useful. Just think about all the things you could do! If you could freeze time there really could be more then 24 hours in a day.

more hours in a day would be pretty sweet but if you freeze time it must be frozen for both an infinitely long period of time and an infinitely short period of time at the same time. like if you ask, for how long was time frozen? well that doesn't hold any meaning since there is no time while time is frozen. if you want to freeze everything else except for you, then that's moving at the speed of light. but from your perspective your lifespan will always be the same number of hours.

i don't think frozen time could be useful because you need time in order to move. you could say that time was frozen for us a million times already today. we couldn't notice.

The idea has been put forward a number of times in SF. The "Slaver Stasis Field" of Lary Niven is probably the best example.

and probably the most realistic.

if you could 'stop' time like in other sci-fi's where the person who stopped time is still able to move about (take that guy in 'heroes' as an example) you would encounter problems such as being trapped by molecules in the air. breathing would be impossible. assuming you can move and can move objects then you would create an immense shockwave as the air you move out of your way would form an enormously high pressure area. possibly high pressure enough to leadto fusion.