how to handle P2O5 as desiccant

cherry1983

I am tryng to use P2O5 as desiccant to dry the atmosphere( air) in a glove box. In the glove box there will be maybe small amount of evaporated HCl. because P2O5 is corrosive, not easy to handle. therefore, could somebody give me any advice how to handle the drying process at best.:doh:

Lithium Bromide, that`s what you should use.

however if it`s to Absorb HCl fumes, then plain anhydrous NaOH will suffice.

P4O10 is indeed corrosive also, but Useless for absorbing acid fumes.

actually, i am doing exeriments using AlCl3, which is very sensitive to humidity. the possible HCl comes also form AlCl3.

what will be the advantage of Lithium Bromide compard to P2O5?

because I had never used P2O5 before, so I do not know how to use it safely. That is my qustion.

LiBr is one of the better desiccants and much less reactive than P4O10, And it can be reused.

if you have some anhydrous NaOH in there also (powder not Prilled) it also will work as a desiccant (not as good as LiBr), but it will lock up any stray HCl fumes.

don`t use the Carbonate of sodium though, it actually gives OFF water of crystalisation, exactly what you don`t want to happen :)