Several questions/suggestions

1. Banlist

Often, when I notice a user has been banned (by the title by his name) I get curious and end up searching all of his recent posts to find out why. Some forums have a "banlist" which lists banned users, the length of and reason for ban and maybe a reference to offending post(s).

2. Firefox issue

When using firefox, clicking on "New Posts" brings me instead to Search for some reason. This is rather annoying.

3. Brain Sprain

I noticed that the Brain Sprain thing was abandoned with no explaination. Was this just due to lack of interest?

4. Too many sub-forums?

(Just my opinion) There aren't enough posts here that all the sub-forums are needed. I think the site would be much cleaner and easier to browse if some of the subforums were consolidated. That is, have one physics forum, one mathematics forum et cetera... If my memory is correct, this is the way it used to be and I think it worked much better.

1. Banlist

Often, when I notice a user has been banned (by the title by his name) I get curious and end up searching all of his recent posts to find out why. Some forums have a "banlist" which lists banned users, the length of and reason for ban and maybe a reference to offending post(s).

i like this idea.

2. Firefox issue

When using firefox, clicking on "New Posts" brings me instead to Search for some reason. This is rather annoying.

do you have javascript disabled in firefox? other than that, it happens to me occasionally if i don't wait for the page to load before clicking it.

i like this idea.

I've suggested it before (so obviously I like it, too). Put it in a sticky and lock it, so it doesn't become a debate about why bannage occurred. Unlock it only to add to the list. Point to offending post(s) and any public warnings, as appropriate /desired.

Kinda like having the hanged criminals swinging in the town square, or heads on pike as you approach the stronghold.

1. Banlist

There used to be one, long ago, but it vanished (not sure why). We could start one again, but that would be dependent on someone bothering to put people on the list.

2. Firefox issue

Have NoScript installed?

3. Brain Sprain

I noticed that the Brain Sprain thing was abandoned with no explaination. Was this just due to lack of interest?

Yes. We'll try it again sometime.

4. Too many sub-forums?

(Just my opinion) There aren't enough posts here that all the sub-forums are needed. I think the site would be much cleaner and easier to browse if some of the subforums were consolidated. That is, have one physics forum, one mathematics forum et cetera... If my memory is correct, this is the way it used to be and I think it worked much better.

We used to have it displayed that way on the forum index, but each forum still had subforums under it. We recently reorganized and cut down the number of subforums significantly, but they were expanded out to all display on the index. We may cut down more later, I don't know.

Thread on the subject:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25741