Time Travel Question (Twins Paradox)

zxlk21e

Gravity is a distortion of space time, seeing as the effects of gravity and accelerated motion are the same (e.g. they both produce a recurrent force, acceleration and gravity create an effect that is identical) then this would act exactly the same way as did the speed but things would get more difficult to imagine as something would then be accelerating in the presence of a gravitational field. As we pass through a gravitational field it has the net effect of decreasing the rate at which time passes as observed from and outside reference frame but if the object is in motion that too would need to be accounted for. I think its simpler to think about it in terms without gravity for simplicity.

Right, but you cant just say for the sake of simplicity to think of a living cell minus the RNA aspect for example. I mean I am sure some working model of the cell could exist without it, but it would not represent the truth of the issue at all.

As for the rest, well, a body like a planet has mass, I don’t know if its because of this mass alone that a warp or curvature(?) of spacetime is produced, but if that has something in common with the idea of different reference frames also being warping of spacetime(if that’s even close to correct on my part), at what level are they different? Is it simply different means to an end?

As for the rest, well, a body like a planet has mass, I don’t know if its because of this mass alone that a warp or curvature(?) of spacetime is produced, but if that has something in common with the idea of different reference frames also being warping of spacetime(if that’s even close to correct on my part), at what level are they different? Is it simply different means to an end?

They are not different at all. Time dilation is the same for gravitational effects as it is for accelerated ones because they are the same (gravity acts the same way as acceleration in these instances).

• 3 weeks later...
" If an astronaut travels into space for six months at a substantial fraction of light speed and takes another six months to return to Earth, he would land in the future.

With the guy landing in the future, one would wonder how you could have two people standing next to each other when one is in the future and one is in the past !

However, if the both shared something in common, then they would still in a way be connected together.

Let's say that both of them are constantly in motion across Space-Time, and each of them is in motion with the very same magnitude of motion.

One may have directed his motion mostly across the dimension of time, yet the other may have directed his motion mostly across space. But despite these different directions, both of them have traveled an equal distance across the open dimensions of Space-Time, since both of them move with an equal magnitude of motion.

And so share this equal distance of travel.

There is a description of this constant motion here .. http://www.outersecrets.com/real/forum_againstum2.htm

It seems to simplify things.

technically the future isn't a place where you can land. your rate of aging can differ in proportion to the rate of aging of other beings based on the difference in speed at which you are propagating through space. so you could arrive back on earth where you have experienced little aging and a small amount of time passing by and everyone else on earth much more.

the way i understand it moving through space IS moving through time. motion and time are pretty much the same thing. if you leave in a spaceship for a while and come back to meet your friend on a predetermined date, you will find that you, have both traveled farther through space, and also farther through time. time did not speed up for you, your ship carried you to future point in a slower person's time. going fast allows you to make more ground in space and in time. moving is time, the faster you move in relation to something more progress you make at traveling through time. if you go to speed infinity you are already wherever you are going and thus you must cease to age whatsoever. like light. light is basically travelling at speed infinity.

One conceptual way to look at this is to consider two springs each with a different weight. The one with the heavier mass will vibrate slower. The lighter mass will vibrate faster. At relativistic speed our relativistic mass will increase our total mass, such that all the little springs (cycles) that define all that we are will slow. We still get the same number of cycles just that with the heavier relativistic mass it takes longer to cycle. In the relativistic reference you won't notice anythings since the brain and body are all coordinated at the lower cycle speed. One needs to add space-time into the equation to get all the forces to adjust to the change.

So when you go back your twin may have done 1000cycles and you may have only done say 500cycles and therefore would be half the age.