Would a Ballista/Bow and arrow hybrid work.

Killa Klown

ballista is closer to a mounted crossbow than a bow and arrow but the principle is the same. pull on the string, string bends bow stores energy, release string, projectile goes bye bye.

ballistas have been used to fire what were essentially massive arrows anyway.

NO, you see it is not just the size of a bow but it looks like a bow. Unlike a crossbow it doesn't have a trigger mechanizim, instead the bow string is pulled back like a normal bow. Also it is not mounted onto anything like a trigger mechanizim or an portable mount that allows you to hold it like a rife, instead it looks like a bow and it is also used like a normal bow.

NO, you see it is not just the size of a bow but it looks like a bow. Unlike a crossbow it doesn't have a trigger mechanizim, instead the bow string is pulled back like a normal bow. Also it is not mounted onto anything like a trigger mechanizim or an portable mount that allows you to hold it like a rife, instead it looks like a bow and it is also used like a normal bow.
There is obviously some point we're missing here. A "miniature ballista without the support made in a bow style structure"... "that can actually launch arrows"? Aren't you just describing a regular bow? What is it about a ballista removed from it's supports that makes it different from a regular bow?
Unlike a crossbow it doesn't have a trigger mechanizim, instead the bow string is pulled back like a normal bow. Also it is not mounted onto anything like a trigger mechanizim or an portable mount that allows you to hold it like a rife, instead it looks like a bow and it is also used like a normal bow.
Why is a modified ballista more desirable than a regular bow? Is it for power, portability, ease of use? What are your predictions if such a device were possible in the way you describe it?

NO I'm not trying to make a bow, a bow requires normally just one long bendable wooden stick (I've made many before). This ballista hybrid uses 3 sticks that are no bendable at all. The first stick is wooden plank that supports two other unbendable sticks with rope. The only reason the ballista/bow can bend is because of the tension that is created by the ropes when the bow string is pulled back. Kind of something like this \_/.

If it's big enough, it may be an advantage to have a trigger mechanism. Using a longbow required enough strength as it is. Trying to pull back a ballista-sized bow would be even more fun.

Some sort of rack-style ratchet would do the trick.

Killa Clown, could you doodle a sketch of what you have in mind?

SO basically its just kind of a slingshot mechanism overall? I think a ballista also had a track sort of to guide the projectile, say a bolt for instance, but I might be getting confused. I think some wood, and pvc piping, maybe reinforced might do the trick along with some rubber, or plastic tubing. You could fill in the pipe with sand for instance, and the various types of pvc piping would allow for joints and angles or different diamters and so on.

• 4 months later...