Ferrofluid Speaker?

alan2here

I was wondering if a setup envolving an electromagnet of alternating strength (of feild) and ferrofulid could create sound. I noticed that the ferrofluid I have seems to get smaller when neer a magnet as it is all sqashed together and expands somewhat when on its own. If this was done fast enough sound waves could be produced?

it still lacks the surface area to impart much force on the air, enough to propagate sound.

also it`s viscosity is so high it will not function anywhere even Close to the KHz region (~1K is only middle C).

sorry dude, the idea is flawed badly, although ferrofluid Does serve a good purpose in some speakers as a Cooling agent but that`s about it :)

ty :¬)

So only good for deep bass, and watering it down would reduce it's effectivness.

I would think the amount of power into the coil would determin how much of it's surface it could move?

I was thinking it could also be intresting from a directional sound POV as it can be not a flat surface like a speaker but more this shape. http://scienceblogs.com/moleculeoftheday/images/ferrofluid.jpg

It can also be more of a flat dome shape it depends on how the magnets are arranged.

I guess fine iron flilings could be intresting too, but possibly even more viscoss and so more useless but never the less worth experimenting with.

I suck too much as electronics to make AC.