Firefox Core

herme3

The Visual Basic web control component uses the Internet Explorer core. The Vista version of Internet Explorer 7 works great with Vista's protected mode, but there are a lot of security problems with the XP version. Would it be possible for my applications to use the Firefox core when running on Windows XP, and the Internet Explorer core when running on Windows Vista?

I'm not sure how to get the Visual Basic web component to use the Firefox core instead of the IE core. Is this even possible?

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're trying to do. Have you developed an ASP.NET application? If so it should run in whatever web browser you attempt to execute it in when you load the web page by typing in the URL.

If you mean those "web component" things that allow you to place Microsoft Office content on the web (like an Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint slideshow), I've done that in Firefox before. Again, just run Firefox, go to the page in question, and when it prompts you to install the control just follow the instructions on-screen.

If this doesn't help, see if you can describe the problem in more detail and I'll see what I can do. (Don't you hate the way the industry uses the same words to mean 8 or 10 different things?) (grin)

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're trying to do. Have you developed an ASP.NET application? If so it should run in whatever web browser you attempt to execute it in when you load the web page by typing in the URL.

If you mean those "web component" things that allow you to place Microsoft Office content on the web (like an Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint slideshow), I've done that in Firefox before. Again, just run Firefox, go to the page in question, and when it prompts you to install the control just follow the instructions on-screen.

If this doesn't help, see if you can describe the problem in more detail and I'll see what I can do. (Don't you hate the way the industry uses the same words to mean 8 or 10 different things?) (grin)

If you search his threads, or I'm sure your memory, you will recall he has writen several browser front ends using the IE rendering engine.

Herme3, have a look for some tutorials about using the gecko rendering engine in .net that's probably you best bet. And then writing some windows version awareness thing, but it's not a nice method. and the gecko rendering engine is far nice imo than the IE one.

A long, long, long time ago (2000-2001) there was GtkEmbedMoz that let you embed the Mozilla rendering engine in GTK applications.

I'm certain they've done the same for multiple platforms by now.

If you search his threads, or I'm sure your memory, you will recall he has writen several browser front ends using the IE rendering engine.

Herme3, have a look for some tutorials about using the gecko rendering engine in .net that's probably you best bet. And then writing some windows version awareness thing, but it's not a nice method. and the gecko rendering engine is far nice imo than the IE one.

Yes, I was creating another application with a built-in browser. It uses the "WebBrowser" control from the toolbox in Visual Basic. However, this control only uses the IE rendering engine. I've tested both IE and Firefox by loading web sites that I know have viruses or other malicious code. Here were the results I discovered:

1. IE7 with Windows XP - Many virus infections

2. Firefox with Windows XP - Some virus infections

3. Firefox with Windows Vista - Rare virus infections

4. IE7 with Windows Vista - No virus infections

Firefox seems to be the best option for Windows XP, and IE7 seems to be the best option for Windows Vista. Therefore I would like to use the IE7 "WebBrowser" control for Vista users and use a Gecko engine for XP users.

I will try to find some tutorials about this subject. Thank you for your advice.