Hydrogen Fuel Cells?

YT2095

I think I`ve Out-Geeked myself today, I`ve bought a Fuel cell powered toy car: http://www.latestbuy.com.au/hracer_hydrogen_car.html

now naturally I`m going to be taking this apart and making measurements and tests etc...

has anyone here already Got one, or have a fuel cell on its own?

do you know if using Methane in place of the Hydrogen will work?

I`ll probably have a quite a few questions to post in here later when I get the thing and strip it down.

Is it RC or just in-line performance? Once you get it tweaked and measured is Hannah going to get a crack at it?

I also fully expect you to rig it up so it powers your whole house (some kind of Hamster-wheel?).

it`s straight line, no remote (although I Could do that).

and atm, No she`s not old enough and would likely break it, but a little later on YES, she`ll be taught how it works also.

well I Do want to try and reverse engineer the fuel cell itself and learn as much as possible about it, there`s only So much you can get from books and articles, Hands on and eyeballs can be worth an entire book :)

I already have Solar panels that I`m slowly accumulating over time and less and less is now Mains reliant, a Fuel cell would totally ROCK!

I can generate the Hydrogen very easily, and all I need to do is feed it alu beer cans every now and then :)

I already have Solar panels that I`m slowly accumulating over time and less and less is now Mains reliant, a Fuel cell would totally ROCK!
In many municipalities in the US, the energy companies that supply gas & electric are required to buy back electricity you generate over and above what you use. Come up with a great strategy and people here will pay you to tell them how to get a check from the E-weasels instead of paying them.

I can generate the Hydrogen very easily, and all I need to do is feed it alu beer cans every now and then :)
So you'll have to figure a way to empty a bunch of beer cans? I know it's a burden, but you HAVE to consider the advancements to science.... :eyebrow:

i think your cell is going to be based on two inert metal sponges semi immersed in the electrolyte.

whether or not you can run methane is dependant on how the fuel is catalysed.

depending on how much you'll sacrifice to science in terms of beverages, ethanol can be run in fuel cells, it just takes more to catalyse. (but i can think of better uses)

Wow!

it arrived today, and it`s awesome! :)

I can get over 3 minutes run time (3 mins 20 seconds) from one fill in a little balloon no bigger than my thumb tip when full!

and after sorting out a minor Airlock problem with the electrolyzer, I`m equally impressed with that also, it does 7ml of H2 per minute (the car only holds 4ml).

I need to look into this a little bit more though, the electrolyzer is also PEM based and works on Pure distilled water, there`s no need for an electrolyte at all, and it Seems reversible!?

when it`s got the O2 and H2 either side of the cell, when you turn the power off, it still keeps generating elec until there`s no gas left.

it certainly gets a Big "Thumbs Up" for both Geek and Scientific value from Me :)