liquid nitrogen

smokey-nitro

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold is not added to a body it is created by the absence of heat - the heat must go somewhere so consequently between any two areas at different temperature there is a temperature gradient. This gradient can be very steep, for instance a very cold object placed next to a very hot opject or very shallow if two objects of similar temperature are placed together.

For an object to be at 0 Kelvin and remain there the temperature gradient between it and it's surroundings would have to be flat, as would the gradient between the sorroundings surroundings and so on like the layers of an onion. This is not possible.

As for the hottest something can get, that depends on pressure and I don't think a practical hottest possible temperature has been recorded. Once a gas reaches sufficiently high temperature it will become a plasma (stripped of its electrons if I think) - plasmas exist at incredibly high temperatures and pressures.

for a start it`s not liquid NO2, it`s liquid Nitrogen. not it`s Dioxide that would form Nitric acid! (It might shift bubble gum tho).

lets` get back on topic.

and the contention wasn`t the concrete or ashphalt, it was the soft plastic piping that would shatter.

in essence the principal of the idea isn`t without merit, however without considerable modification, using the weedkiller backpack sprayer would be at the very least foolhardy, a fracture in the container (and it`s NOT designed for those temps) could very easily get his lower extremities covered in liquid Nitrogen (that would be somewhat unpleasant).

Liquid nitrogen usually requires a device called a dewar flask or double lined tank with a vent to alow the pressure to vent off. The material make must be considerd since metals at very cold tmeprature rearrange into structures which shatter like glass. besides thr transport of liqid nitrogen requires special permits and documentation just to transport the material. No reputable maker would sale the material without an inspection of your equipment and capabilty. It is also rather expensive.

Ag

YT2095 said in post # :

in essence the principal of the idea isn`t without merit, however without considerable modification, using the weedkiller backpack sprayer would be at the very least foolhardy, a fracture in the container (and it`s NOT designed for those temps) could very easily get his lower extremities covered in liquid Nitrogen (that would be somewhat unpleasant).

And he would be a Darwin Award, no less. At least he'd have honor.

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

And he would be a Darwin Award, no less. At least he'd have honor.

LOL, True, but I`de hate that on my conscience how ever cool that may be (excuse the pun) to posthumousley(sp?) receive one.

I`de be somewhat remiss if I didn`t point that out :)

a plasma is an ION cloud usualy created by an elctronic discharge within a gas, the ions are usualy 1 for 1 positive and negative and the cloud conducts as good as any metal might :)

Guest shallowman

Anybody can buy some ln from their local gas supplier -- they usually rent out vented stainless thermos containers. Sure, you could strap a similar container on your back, just don't bend over or the ln will spill on your head! The biggest problem with your "weed killer" idea, I think, is getting the thing out of the container if you really want to "spray" it. Any kind of long dispensing hose will need to be able to physically handle the cold temperature without getting brittle and snapping off -- that doesn't leave many materials, much less, and flexible that you're probably looking for. Also, any long "hose" might allow heat to transfer to the liquid and make it flash... Just some thoughts. No idea is too dumb.