Is our heart rate related to food?

Amy54

hey guys I am trying to find out if by eating and viewing different foods, will my heart rate increase, especially with foods that I like? I have done an experiment and now I just need some info to help back up my results (I found that eating foods like ice-cream and chocolate slowed my heart rate, and foods like wasabi and chilli increased my heart rate, although I don't know if my results were very accurate)

hey guys I am trying to find out if by eating and viewing different foods, will my heart rate increase, especially with foods that I like? I have done an experiment and now I just need some info to help back up my results (I found that eating foods like ice-cream and chocolate slowed my heart rate, and foods like wasabi and chilli increased my heart rate, although I don't know if my results were very accurate)

I should think the heart rate is related to ANTICIPATED eating, like eagerness to eat wonderful things because of the emotional ties (adrenalin rush). It must also be a function of HOW MUCH is eaten, as well as physical activity after eating- a huge meal might require much-increased blood flow to the digestive organs, hence, a higher heart rate.

Another factor might be whether you are doing your eating alone, or in the presence of someone very moving to you.............imp

Well I would it should make you more alert/hyper because sugar contains glucose which is one of the main energy sources for the body. When you eat it, your body will put it into the blood - if there's too much there it will get cells to absorb more glucose and use it in some way. I would think the most efficient way to use it is to convert into chemical energy (ATP).

In relation to types of food changing your heart rate, certain foods may contain chemicals (natural ones that is) that may cause heart-rate to be altered.

• 1 month later...

Well . Ok shugar contains glucose but isnt shugar on our table refined?

and iwe heard that makes it harder to ( eem... whats the word. for body to use it? im not from english speaking country) anyways shugar may be hard to use so body needs to use energy to demulsify it and make it usable. so it theoretically might make you sleepy. is it not true?

you need to define the "sugar" here really, it`s quite a broad spectra.

Mono Saccharides, such as Glucose, dextrose, fructose etc... are instantly usable by us, Disacharides such as Sucrose (table sugar) need splitting in order to be usable (the stomachs HCl does that).

poly saccharides take even more work and Salivary amylase does quite a bit of that as with Starches and complex carbohydrates.

• 3 weeks later...

Hunger in general is not related to your heart rate. However, there is a correlation. As hunger increases, your heart rate should be at normal. This is because the area of the nervous system that controls hunger/digestion slows your heart down.

Now, you mentioned specific foods. Specific foods themselves will not affect your heart rate, rather they will affect your blood pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with me white table sugar, coffee and chocolate all increase my heart rate more than anything else I use. The more I take the faster it gets. I sometimes need to dilute my blood with water to settle my heart rate down. I generally need to avoid having too much sugary and caffinated foods. I own a heart rate monitor, this proves it to myself. I have normal blood pressure when I'm not high on white sugar.

cheers