Laptop Problem

herme3

A person at work turned on his laptop this morning, and he was unable to see anything on the right side of the screen. This is what the screen looks like:

laptopscreen.jpg

The left side looks normal, but the right side looks like this from the moment I press the power button. The screen doesn't appear to be physically cracked or damaged. He said he used the laptop a lot this weekend, and he doesn't remember dropping it or anything. When I connect the laptop to a monitor, the screen looks fine.

Has anybody seen anything like this before?

you probably need to get the screen replaced... which sucks. If you have it under warranty, you don't have to pay for it, but it takes a really long time to order the right parts.

No doubt a broken display. There is no way broken graphics board, inverter board or cable would no way give that symptom. It looks just something hit(ie pressure) the display in the upper right corner. In case of warranty not expired, chances are big the service people will suspect something hit the display, so he would have to be act very convincing to have it accepted as warranty. I've seen a lot of those and that's a clear case of broken display.

Unfortunaltey the displays can be a bit expensive, so depending on how old/expensive the latop is I'd consider buying a new one, unless it has warranty left and you can convince the service people that something did not hit it, flex, or drop it. Because that is what I would suspect if I saw that display.

/Fredrik