Light, What is it relative to.

-Demosthenes-

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Demosthenes- said in post # :

So light beam A and B are heading in opposite directions. They are only going *c, then isn't it going half of c relative to the planet?

*(I think I've learned that c represents the speed of light from other's post, tell me if I'm wong)

c = 299792458ms^-1, the speed of light in a vacuum.

And NO THEY'RE NOT ONLY GOING HALF c

I gave you the sodding equation TWICE, USE IT.

-Demosthenes- said in post # :

Does light have totally different properties from everything else in the universe? One of thoses things that I'll never inderstand, seems like.

Very interesting.

No, it doesn't. It's pretty normal for a boson.

if we forget the flashlights for a second, it`s the 100 mph parts that throws me?

"They're actually seperating at 99.999999999998887mph."

surely 100 mph is just that? as in if both cars travel for 1 hour, they will be 100 miles appart.

well ok, so these 2 cars would be somewhat less than 100miles apart? or they would be 100 miles apart but get there at a slower speed, or time would say one hour was up to the driver when infact it fell short of 1 hour? WHAT?

I`m at a loss here, and I know there`s others in the queue (sp?) eagerly awaiting a responce other than a formula, a plain english answer maybe applicable here (I could be wrong, but working exapmples seem to get the point across a triffle better than a+bXz^c/a million+3.14 etc...)

:)

YT2095 said in post # :

well ok, so these 2 cars would be somewhat less than 100miles apart? or they would be 100 miles apart but get there at a slower speed, or time would say one hour was up to the driver when infact it fell short of 1 hour? WHAT?

I`m at a loss here, and I know there`s others in the queue (sp?) eagerly awaiting a responce other than a formula, a plain english answer maybe applicable here (I could be wrong, but working exapmples seem to get the point across a triffle better than a+bXz^c/a million+3.14 etc...)

:)

Why not do it with the you used? 50 mph is about 22.3ms^-1.

(22.3 + 22.3)/(1+22.3*22.3/299792458^2) is what you're looking for. Which is about 44.6/1.0000000000001, or thereabouts (0's aren't exact, just 'a line of zeros'), which will be just less than 44.6ms^-1.

And after one hour, they would be about 99.999999999999998 whatever miles apart.