Is Abiogenesis possible, and what is life?

It's not like anyone's saying it happened in five minutes when the only two piles of amino acids in the universe happened to bump into each other.

Try to imagine the scale. Vast lakes jammed with exotic (for the time) molecular configurations. Abundant heat energy. Millions of years' worth of collisions between quadrillions of different molecular configurations.

If you get the scale right, it stops being inplausible and starts being inevitable.

But the jump form non-life to life? I can't beleive that that's even possible, I just can't. Maybe I have a closed mind, but non-life to life! MAybe if some had done it before. Made a Microshpere, what I learned was the first form of life, by making a bubble in animo acid goo and have it come to life.

my answer, plain and simple:

contains some form of memory for possible reproduction (a.k.a. RNA, or DNA, or BINARY CODE)

and is able to use energy (any form)

most likely, all individual parts of the most basic possible cell were made individually, a lot, along with many other random molecules, and over time happened to come across one another and absorb eachother, or something. the memory part probably came first, then, after much floating around doing absolutely nothing, it came apon the using energy part (this is when i would call it "life"). then, as random energy became less abundant, they needed something to collect and contain energy. they couldn't "die," unless they were denatured, but likely just floated around and used energy as it came by to make copies of it's memory. then they eventually found some other sets of molecules that could collect and store energy... etc.

this is not what happened, just one possible way it happened... one that i made up a few minutes ago, but has probably been said before.

EinsteinTheory said in post # :

Does anyone truly believe that goo can turn into an organism? It's never been reprodced, and it sounds impossible.

If you took yeast,killed it, and groung it up, making a huge slurry of all those enzymes needed to survive, it would start making more and more enzymes until it "died" without input of more nutrients.

EinsteinTheory said in post # :

What about my unrelated question. I'd say that the text book answer is they are not, but I think they are. Of course fire isn't, but it comsumes nutrients and reproduces in a way.

by my definition, viruses are alive (assuming they use some sort of energy) and fire isn't (because it has no stored data)

anyone who tries to disprove evolution with the laws of thermodynamics should be shot in the head.

viruses are a grey area, since they do not have all the equipment needed to replicate themselves - they can only reproduce by hijacking a cell and using the cells machinery to make new viruses.

viruses do not respoire, they do not make any attempt at homeostasis (regulation of their internal environment) so they are not structly alive.

I see dan has run away after being thoroughly owned.

by my understanding, viruses inject DNA or RNA into a host cell, and that host cell uses the new DNA or RNA to make the protiens that are the virus. the question is, do viruses use energy to inject their DNA/RNA, or are they 100% freefloating and only inject it by chance (i suppose that would technically be using kinetic energy... but it's indirect so it doesn't count)