Color Changes

YT2095

does anyone here know, what the chemical(s) or reaction that takes place, when prawns or lobsters etc... change colour from often blue grey to a redish pink when they`re heated?

it`s an irreversible reaction to my knowledge unlike most inorganic chems that often go back to their original colour on cooling.

this one`s been bugging me for some time now :)

It's caused by protein denaturation on cooking. There's a protein called crustacyanin (or something like that - can't remember off the top of my head) which binds a substrate that on it's own, is orange, but when it is bound to the protein turns blue-black. When the lobster is cooked, the protein denatures, forcing the substrate back into the orange form.

Since the protein doesn't renature on cooling, the substrate has to remain orange.

Cookie

YT2095 said in post # :

it`s a bit like Gray and Grey, both are valid :)

REALLY?! i always thought grey was correct, and gray is the steryotypcal grey, big headed, big eyed alien.... or is it the other way around. i never knew both were valid for the color (and probably the species too).

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

Of course they are both valid! But how'd you get gray as a big headed big eyed alien?

lol, i watch SciFi, and all of those alien discovery channel speciels. grey is now the name of those aliens (i'll have to check to see if it's grey or gray).