Superluminal Information, Interested...

Luminal

Well, I've heard and been told many times that superluminal (faster-than-light) communication is impossible. However, I have several thought experiments that I've been considering for a long time, and need others to confirm/deny as to whether they are possible. I'm not saying these would be feasible is sending large amounts of useful information, but would bypass the laws restraining information from going FTL.

First, simply use a super-hard or dense material in the shape of a long rod (such as diamond or nanotube structures, so it wouldn't bend or compress itself in the process) and span it over a long enough distance to accurately measure (several hundred feet would be enough I believe). Have two of these placed next to one another. One would be for "Yes" or "On" or "1" (as in a bit) and the other would represent "No" or "Off" or "0". When one of these rods is pushed forward, the other end should instantly be pushed forward as well, thus conveying basic information on the other end to the observer ("yes" or "no" to whatever question was posed).

Second, entangled particles. These display random effects, but when an observer sees the state of one particle, he instantly knows the state of the second. In a manner of speaking, isn't this instant transfer of information? Albeit, it may not be useful information in anything other than the experiment itself, but it does describe the second particle faster than light to the scientists.

Third, http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/6/1/13 . The first encoded pulse may not be able to break the speed of light, but the coaxial cable does in fact send "something" to the end faster than light. Similar to example #1, if two cables were placed side-by-side, and a signal down the first cable represented a particular answer, and a signal down the second cable represented another, than you've achieved superluminal communication. Correct?

That's all for now. If I'm wrong about any of this, please correct me, if for no other reason than to put my mind at ease. Thank you very much for your time.

First one:

When you push one end that push moves from atom to atom at a velocity slower than c, it is NOT 100% bonded, the bonds between atoms are like springs if you push one end it bounces up to the other end.

Second one:

He knows the measured observable but noone at the other end does, and if someone has taken the other particle and done something to it, they are no longer entangled.

Third one:

I think I recall someone trying this it failed due to the amount of distortion in the cable and the amount of single you need to receive to confirm a received point.

Good thoughts though, sorry to stamp on the first two so harshly. Keep up the thinking though, it's where all the good stuff comes from :D

So, on the first example, you're saying the "push forward" would travel through the diamond (or object of similar strength) but never faster than light, thus compressing it as it traveled?

Concerning the first example again, to be devil's advocate, let's say the object being pushed was compressed as much as a Neutron Star (I.E. the neutrons were as compact as theoretically possible without collapsing into a Black Hole). Obviously, this would be untestable in the foreseeable future, but if such a dense material was moved, the other end of the object would be moved instantly as well, correct?

What you've done is demonstrate one of the reasons why there is a theoretical upper limit to the elasticity of objects.

That does make me wonder, though, and maybe Swansont could shed some light on this. How does that translate into the subatomic level? Like, pushing on a single neutron can't possibly move the "other side" of it instantaneously, since it has a finite diameter, and hence must deform and somehow internally transmit a "shockwave?" Or does quantum uncertainty make the question irrelevant somehow?