After Bachelor of Science?

Phrozen

Anyone work in the field of medical/health?

I am currently in my 3rd year of a 4 year Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences (specialization in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology). The program info/map can be found here.

Previously, I wanted to become a doctor but I don't think I have the marks for it and I'm not sure if it is what I still want to do. I'm really interested in Pharmacy and was thinking of working for a biotechnology company making new therapeutics in the future.

I received 3 D's so far (1 in Calc II, which I am currently retaking, and the other 2 were in Organic Chemistry II and Biochemistry). I am planning on redoing these over the summer so I can boost up my GPA. My other marks are all A's or B's with a few C's.

My current GPA is a 3.0 on a 4.3 scale (B average). I know it could be a lot worse... but I was wondering what are some options I have?

Should I look into doing some type of Masters of Science program or should I focus on getting admitted to a Med/Pharmacy school? I live in Canada and getting into Med/Pharmacy here is next to impossible unless you have stellar marks (3.7+ GPA) and loads of EC's. Going to the States or the Carribean is an option too.

There are really too many options and I am really lost on what to do. What GPA should I aim on getting in order to be competitive among other students?

It seems that if you don't go the Medschool/Pharmacy route... it's looked down upon or something? (Especially being from a family with an Indian background).

Thanks for any advice and let me know if you require more information from me.

:cool:

What's your GPA of only in-major courses. A "D" in calc isn't too bad for biology students (who are famously bad at math), but D's in Ochem and Biochem for a pharmacy student would give me pause if I were on the admissions committee.

Mokele

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the best at these kind of topics, But i'd say Take the 'Master of Science' course first. That way, you may have a better chance at being accepted into a Med/Pharmacy College if they see how much you have studied.

But to be honest, The decision is yours. ^^

All the best..

Ben

• 5 weeks later...

An A or B is a must in pharmacy pre-req courses. Obviously you must do well on your PCAT's and it doesnt hurt to have some community service under your belt. I suggest you shadow Pharms so get an idea of what you're getting into. Pharm D is a 4 yr program unlike the old BS in Pharmacy.