Windows RG

Royston

people can jab at windows all they want. you can tell me its unstable, you can tell me it has horrible security, you can tell me all the usual crap people spout about windows. but the fact remains that there is a reason the vast majority of all computers are running some versions of windows.

for me personally, it because you cant be a gamer and use a mac. there are other things i dont like about a mac, like how they dont really let me deal with my own computer the way i want to, but the key thing is that there are a very small fraction of games available.

that being said, yes its an operating system, and im sure it does many things badly, but if you dont like it either supply an alternative and go use that one or deal with windows. either way, we dont need to hear about it.

there is a reason the vast majority of all computers are running some versions of windows.

Marketing. That and it comes preinstalled on 90% of prebuilt computers which is an artefact from the early days when it was miles and miles ahead of everything else. thats also why 95% of games are for windows too.

either way, we dont need to hear about it.

I tend to agree. I was just talking to the other mods yesterday about how Linux/MS fanboy posts have kinda trashed the Computer Science board. There's nothing really wrong with people having opinions like that, but it tends to put a damper on productive and informative discussion. (Just try to wade through the noise on Slashdot whenever Microsoft comes up. What a crock.)

The only thing I've managed to come up with so far would be to just delete the noise and provide a separate thread (or even a separate board) for fanboy type chatter.

Marketing.

Got it in one. It doesn't matter which one is actually better, marketing wins every time. Remember the duel between VHS and Beta in the early days of video? Beta lost even though it was and is the better system.

If you don't believe me, next time you see a news crew out and about have a look at their cameras. "Betacam", every one.

My god that is ancient

Yeah, I feel daft for posting it, my housemate was laughing at it, who sent me the link...I was more laughing at him laughing, rather than the actual animation ( I very rarely search for animations et.c on the net ) so embarrassingly that was the first time I saw it...:embarass:

This had nothing to do with Windows being a bad operating system.

Callipygous turned it into one, and if you look, nobody else, besides Callipygous, is actually debating whether Windows is a good operating system.

They're just cool flash movies. That's all. Calm down people.

It's really fine, 1veedo, and I wasn't trying to give you (specifically) a hard time. I got no problem with the movies, or even criticism of Windows. This amusing post just happened to come up at the exact same time that I've been pondering the future of the Computer Science sub-board. :)

Whatever we do over there, we'll have a place for people to post "how badly Windows sucks" if they want to. Even with the fanboyish behavior, it can also be legitimate discussion and it can lead to education. I think the key is to just make sure we have an open and welcoming discussion atmosphere (e.g. Windows fans should be able to post about some new piece of software or ask a question without being answered along the lines of "throw it away and download Linux").

Got it in one. It doesn't matter which one is actually better, marketing wins every time. Remember the duel between VHS and Beta in the early days of video? Beta lost even though it was and is the better system.

It was a better, proprietary system. VHS was an open, multivendor standard.

It's really fine, 1veedo, and I wasn't trying to give you (specifically) a hard time. I got no problem with the movies, or even criticism of Windows. This amusing post just happened to come up at the exact same time that I've been pondering the future of the Computer Science sub-board. :)

Whatever we do over there, we'll have a place for people to post "how badly Windows sucks" if they want to. Even with the fanboyish behavior, it can also be legitimate discussion and it can lead to education. I think the key is to just make sure we have an open and welcoming discussion atmosphere (e.g. Windows fans should be able to post about some new piece of software or ask a question without being answered along the lines of "throw it away and download Linux").

Could we have anything that isn't CompSci chucked into a Computer-chat type subforum? It might work....