Nurture or Nature?

Modify there genes? But we don't know what some of them do! I suppose we could factor in all the parents and relatives to get close to knowing what to expect from them. You'd need to study back far though... hard to do. I doubt you could prove nature or nuture very well with that method.

That's nice. Are you saying I am good at debating or what?

[farfetched]Maybe you could CREATE a human with standard genes that create no personality! Then simply see what comes out![\farfetched] Actualy that wouldn't work. Simply put, they'd end up messed up and with genetic defects. You cannot modify genes without a few failures. The effects may be amusing though (but that's cruel!) So that is hopeless too! How to do it... think!

Interesting topic. I almost picked up a book this weekend that argues the "blank slate". Its a top seller at the bookstore, but basically he argues that we are born a complete blank slate. I'll have to pick it up and see how it is.

I was reading an article in the paper the other day, and I young girl ws abused by her father from the age of 3 up until the age of sixteen whn she left home. Her brother also began abusing her at the age of six (both are now in prison I'm thnkful to say). Was it the brothers genetics that made him do it or was it the envroment the brother lived in. I beleive both factors probably caused this partly genetics and partly as said above the enviromental factors the brother lived in. Genetics must have some impact on our behaviour. e.g. Turtles eggs are buried in the sand and they are left there, but when they hatch they still know to head to the water. Which is obviously animal instinct which must come from genetics. So therefore some of our behaviour must be impacted from our genetics. Agree?

I'd say that factor was more to do with the situation; certain elements of behaviour may come down to a genetic level and arise independently (this is where the selfdetermination thing comes in), yet in many more cases things are done because they are seen to be acceptable.