Sci-Fi Project Help

Guest 121

Hi all,

I’m currently creating a sci-fi animated film in my spare time for fun. I have some questions on the content which I would like you to look at. Before I actually turn this into a collaborative team project I need to iron out all the cheesy factors in the story. I'm worried about spending a few years on this only to find major holes in the story line. My knowledge on science is poor so I'm hoping I could get some really basic help on realising my script.

Firstly, in the story there is a new rocky planet similar to Earth discovered by scientists. A shuttle is sent to this planet and returns with samples.

How long would it take for a shuttle to reach a planet that far away? It takes forever just to get to Mars :confused:

A sensible answer would be much easier to guess if you gave an estimate of how far away from earth it actually is detected. Assuming it is at least as far away as Pluto (it´s most likely we already had discovered a planet the size of earth if it was closer) or in a neighbouring solar system, then the next question is whether the shuttle shall be manned or not and whether it shall travel within the currently-known laws of physics or if you want to use some imagined exotic device.

In case of the imagined exotic device: Anything is possible as long as you can imagine it, that´s what being a scientist is all about (couldn´t resist bringing this quote from Futurama, the alternate quote sais "magical faerie elf", btw).

In case of currently-accepted science: If it´s unmanned you might get an almost unlimited acceleration that almost instantly brings the shuttle to the maximum possible velocity which is about 300000 km/s. For the nearest star, the time needed is ~4 years then, I think. Much less if you´re staying within the solar system. If it´s a manned probe then you´ll likely have the restiction that a human body will probably not stand an acceleration greater than 10 m/s² for long. This low acceleration will probably give a large increase to the time needed.

Hi Atheist,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Your input is extremely valuable to this project. In the script, the rocky planet is in another solar system and the shuttle is manned by several scientists. The 'exotic' device can reach this planet but there aren't any unrealistic technologies aboard the vessel. In other words there isn't convenient devices like the Star Trek anti gravity device cliché. The astronauts float around the ship as they would on ISS. With that in mind, how long would one estimate the time it would take to reach a planet in another solar system? I'm sure this might be similar to estimating how long a piece of string is but the more I fine tune this the better the quality of the final piece. It's quite embarrassing to suggest such far fetched scenarios but I would like this script to be logical without offensive shortcuts.

I have alot of questions to ask and if there is interest I will gladly post screen shots of 'Work in Progress' pics of my designs.

So how long would it take to reach a planet out of our solar system in a manned ship? Just a rough estimate would be great right now :)

In the script, the rocky planet is in another solar system and the shuttle is manned by several scientists. The 'exotic' device can reach this planet but there aren't any unrealistic technologies aboard the vessel. In other words there isn't convenient devices like the Star Trek anti gravity device cliché. The astronauts float around the ship as they would on ISS.
Intersystem travel is going to take a very long time so you need some way to keep your scientists in stasis during the trip (unless they will be raising families of scientists for the return trip). Btw, creating an artificial gravity isn't that difficult with present technologies.

The design of the ship would have to let it spin to create the effect.

With that in mind, how long would one estimate the time it would take to reach a planet in another solar system? I'm sure this might be similar to estimating how long a piece of string is but the more I fine tune this the better the quality of the final piece. It's quite embarrassing to suggest such far fetched scenarios but I would like this script to be logical without offensive shortcuts.
I remember hearing that a trip from Earth to Proxima Centauri would take 70,000+ years.

Also how would the ship avoid hitting asteroids?
The odds of hitting an asteroid with a manned spaceship are... astronomical. Proximity detection equipment and a few quick thruster bursts should take care of it.

Could a ship accelerate if it was already in space? (I have so many questions) :confused:
Absolutely, to a certain extent. That's what thrusters are for but you need more and more thrust to go faster and faster.

Intersystem travel is going to take a very long time so you need some way to keep your scientists in stasis during the trip (unless they will be raising families of scientists for the return trip). Btw, creating an artificial gravity isn't that difficult with present technologies.

The design of the ship would have to let it spin to create the effect. I remember hearing that a trip from Earth to Proxima Centauri would take 70,000+ years.

Hi Phi for All,

I originally designed the ship to accommodate future generations of scientists and also religious representatives of Earth but aborted the idea. I was thinking that it would be impossible to supply a large number of people with fresh food and water for a journey of this magnitude. The waste could be recycled to produce drinking water but what about food? IIRC on the NASA website, they have successfully grown planets on ISS. This would mean that a large section of the ship would be used to grow crops to feed the crew. I thought about cyrogenically freezing the crew but that seemed too far fetched. The mission has to be near impossible so the viewer can develop a strong sense of empathy for the characters.

Now that I know that it would take 70,000+ years to reach another rocky planet that orbits a star in another solar system, I have to rewrite my script!

I'm thinking I could start the story 140'000+ years after the initial launch and then they can return catching everyone by suprise with alien cargo.

Here are some key scenes from the script,

The idea was for the scientists to arrive at this new planet and discover that it is similar to prehistoric Earth. All of the countries are covered in lush, virgin rainforest. The animals there mostly consist of large, predatory crustaceans and insects. The creatures have brightly coloured, warning displays on their bodies similar to what is seen in our rainforests. Obviously they would not find a humanoid civilization that come in peace lol. I have to design something that isn't obvious and too easy to digest.

The scientists set up a base on the planet and begin taking samples to take home.

At night, the base is attacked by unimaginable, malevolent monstrosities that only hunt when it's dark. Most of the scientists are killed and a few make it back to the ship (Noah) and return to Earth.

The trip to the new planet was unauthorized and their return was not expected. They crash land on Earth and the alien samples are confiscated by the corporation that launched the illegal mission in the first place. The samples are taken back to the lab for testing.

Somewhere along the line, I want the alien gene (or sentires) to escape and attack the human race. It's an action/survial horror animated film so the alien attack is the only cliche I can't avoid atm...

I'm thinking that the biggest threat to the alien planet would be the foreign bacterias brought by the scientists and maybe some of the organisms could react to this threat by mutating into something that neturalises humans.

I'm really not sure what to do when the aliens are brought to Earth. Could the aliens survive a 70,000+ journey back to Earth without the ship being properly equipt with facilities to sustain them? Maybe the lifeforms could go into hybernation or cyrogenically frozen? Will cryogenics be a reality in our future? It all makes my head spin. This script actually makes me feel naustic!

I have alot more info on the story and why the mission was illegal but I don't want to overwhelm those reading this thread with it atm unless you would like to hear more :D It would probably be best for me to ask questions and hopefully get some replies before I explain more.

The script can change at any time so nothing is concrete at this point. The feedback I've received from this thread so far has already changed the entire script and given me a better structure to base my events on. I wish I was as knowledgeable as you guys!

Excuse any typos.. I just got back from the pub with my mates :)

I only have a couple of WIP pics from the animation to share atm.

City.jpg

DemonSeedAd2.jpg