Gray's Anatomy

Hey all,

I was wondering for anyone in here that's studied medicine, do med schools actually use the book Gray's Anatomy by Henry Gray?? I was thinking of buying a copy because someone (who does not have med school expierience) told me that is what students read in med school. But when I read that it was written by Henry Gray in 1918, I thought, do they still use that book?

And if they do use it, is it the same 1918 copy or a new copy (what is the newest copy?)?

Thanks

Yep looks like the more recently one that you'd want is.

http://www.amazon.com/Grays-Anatomy-Anatomical-Clinical-Practice/dp/0443071683/sr=1-2/qid=1168894906/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-7235034-9001458?ie=UTF8&s=books

I may just buy this.

I've been contemplating doing a bit of a change of direction. Instead of going all the way to the pHD just finishing my masters writing the mCATs and going to med school...

I have trouble sticking to one area...

$153!:eek: They may even update it again before I get to med school. Luckily I found it at my local library under referance books (I'll have to sit there and read it:-) )

Bluenoise, what was your major? I'll be majoring in biology next year as a pre-med when I start college and I'm trying to put together my schedule and pick all the best courses for med school.

$153!:eek: They may even update it again before I get to med school. Luckily I found it at my local library under referance books (I'll have to sit there and read it:-) )

Bluenoise, what was your major? I'll be majoring in biology next year as a pre-med when I start college and I'm trying to put together my schedule and pick all the best courses for med school.

/me bought it for $0.75 at his local library

Darn, I was hoping there was more anatomy on the MCAT, Biology is my specialty compared to Chemistry. Luckily my college offers an MCAT workshop. I'm going to attend that as soon as they'll let me- I might be the only freshman there:D

There are 3 sections. Physically sciences, biologicall sciences, and verbal reasoning.

Here is a link to sample biology questions.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/bssampleitems.pdf

As you can see their for the most part biochemistry based.

The closest to anatomy there is in that sample is about which tissue secreats mucous during a cold.

That's all assuming this sample is a decent representative of the rest of the test. There's likely to be some anatomy at least.

The sad thing is, $153 is like nothing book-wise. I was looking up some of the books I'll be buying for pre-med next year.. A book for 1 semester will be well over $200, and that's buying it USED!:eek:

I'll need a loan just for my books. Lots of $$$ that this girl has never dealt with before:eek: :eek:

What do you mean public domain? I guess they do use it in med schools, right?

What I mean is that Grays anatomy was written a VERY VERY long time ago.

So it should be out of copyright. In Australia I can pick up a version for about $35, hang on, USA has different copyright terms. That could explain it. :aha:

But yeah I hear you on textbooks.

I spent 800 on texts+materials when I was doing my 1st year nursing

And we were considered fortunate.

husmusen.

What I mean is that Grays anatomy was written a VERY VERY long time ago.

So it should be out of copyright. In Australia I can pick up a version for about $35, hang on, USA has different copyright terms. That could explain it. :aha:

But yeah I hear you on textbooks.

I spent 800 on texts+materials when I was doing my 1st year nursing

And we were considered fortunate.

husmusen.

You're confusing your self. The cheep 35 dollar edition is the original edition 1. It's mainly sold as a collectors item now. The $153 edition is the 39th edition of the book. It is modern, and about 10x as long. This is the one that's currently used to teach.

IE.

Original only $12 http://www.amazon.com/Grays-Anatomy-Descriptive-Surgical-Henry/dp/0914294083

New edition $153 http://www.amazon.com/Grays-Anatomy-Anatomical-Clinical-Practice/dp/0443071683/sr=1-2/qid=1168894906/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-7235034-9001458?ie=UTF8&s=books