Graph of the 3D brain

Hello, I am looking for a graph to help me understand the functioning of the human brain. Particulary, I am looking for a graph (most likely adirected) that maps gyri to sucli. Under the assumption that the folds in the brain are interfaces by which different structures in the brain communicate with each other, I hope to use this graph along with a 3D model of the brain to study the form and function of the brain.

Does anyone know where I can find this information? Furthermore, can anyone recommend a good reference book or website that clearly conveys the 3D structure of the brain, along with listing the functionality of each structure?

• 1 month later...
Hello, I am looking for a graph to help me understand the functioning of the human brain. Particulary, I am looking for a graph (most likely adirected) that maps gyri to sucli. Under the assumption that the folds in the brain are interfaces by which different structures in the brain communicate with each other, I hope to use this graph along with a 3D model of the brain to study the form and function of the brain.
Whilst you can find many images of the brain in books and 3D models on line, it's unlikely you'll find exactly what you want because the assumption that "folds in the brain are interfaces by which different structures in the brain communicate with each other" is incorrect.

Only a few of the topographical features on the cerebral cortex are universal (e.g. central sulcus, pre and post central gyri, Sylvian fissure etc.). Beyond these exceptions, the pattern of gyri and sulci differ between individuals, so each brain is unique in terms of surface topography.

The folding of the cortex is simply the way to fit a relatively flat structure (6 cells deep) of a comparitively large area into a roundish container that is smaller in diameter than the area of the cortex.

Interfaces between different regions of the cortex exist within the cortical layers. Pyramidal cells take input from wide areas of the cortex and sends it to local cells. Granular cells do the reverse; they conduct information from local areas and project their axons over wide areas. Information from particular regions devoted to specific functions passes to association areas via specific tracts.

No two gyri interface directly simply by virtue of being in close proximity (i.e. either side of a sulcus). For example, two gyri that are universal (i.e. appear in all human brains) are the precentral and post central gyri (primary motor cortex and primary somatosensory cortex respectively). These reside in close proximity on either side of the central sulcus, but they do not communicate directly and are specific to different functions. Integration of sensory and motor functions happens elsewhere in the brain.

Remember also that the innermost meninx (pia mater) covers the brain surface in close contact and lines the sulci (and even the paths of cortical blood vessels), further insulating gyri from one another.