GRE Chemistry

Gampin

GRE???

I'm asuming A-level, so i would read, Atmoic structure and the periodic table of elements, Ionic compounds, Molecular elements and compounds, Chemical equations and reactions, Stoichiometry and composition, 3 states (not plasma), Soultions, Reaction rates and Equilbrum, Acid-Base Equilibria, Nuclear chemistry and equations, Organic chemistry basics, Basic Bio-chemistry, Nucleic acids, Scientific notation and Significant figures. I hope this hepls you, good studying and best of luck.

wolfson:

the GRE is for graduates, hence he is trying to get into grad school, and not university. It is mainly a test to get into US rad schools, though some other countries like canada might use them too, I am not sure.

Gampin:

The difficulty of the GRE depends on how clever you are. There are a number of books available out there, have a look at Amazon, many are fairly inexpensive, retailing at about 20 quid. beware that if you are going to the US, as I suspect you are, then some universities will, rather bizarrely, expect you to do an English test.

wolfson said in post #13 :

Well if you never tried i quess you didnt enjoy the subject, and btw what grade did you get in your Degree a first?

It's not a question of not wanting to try, it's a question of not needing to.

I love mathematics and physics, yet did absolutely no revision for my A-levels.

its actually both, how hard you try and how clever you are

the clever you are the less you have to try

the less clever you are the more you have to try.

There is a third one though...how you act under pressure.

which i believe is the main one. IF you buckle under pressure

doesn't matter how clever or how ahrd you study.

Either way the GREs are usually easy if you have good time management especially the subject test. They are based on 2nd and 3rd yr knowledge. The english is the hard part for me and i've taken a look at alot of the diverse questions in cs/phys/math/psych/chem... take a look at teh percentage of each specific field on the test...and focus mainly on those ones

mainly organic and inorganic i think for chem. BUt you''ll also have rare questions like quantum and maybe nano. These may fool you but if you have good foundations in the others you should still score a respectable grade.

Just be familiar with the guessing strategy of eliminating three then guess the last to cuz when it comes down to time this will make you or break you. BUt again look at the percentage breakdown and if you hav ea strong foundation of the more % ones then focus on the rareties

• 8 months later...

I took the regular GRE's. My impression is that they're not exactly "hard", but if you plan on doing extremely well (significantly above the mean) it will be quite difficult.

The GRE was created for students whom plan on attending a graduate school (obviously). Thus, every single person that takes them usually has a B.S. (4 year college degree). Also, usually, the people that apply to graduate school are "smarter then average". So, in terms of selection, the test is designed for those who do quite well academically, and have already done 4 years of study.

So in response to some of the people on this board who constantly claim that: "I'm so smart and never got below 90% on any exam". The Majority of people taking the GRE can make that claim. So in terms of how you place, you're taking an exam and competing against people who have much higher then average academic skills. So if you hit the mean on the GRE, you can classify yourself as: "an average really smart person".

You can probably find all sorts of practice questions on the net. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...