Upgrading from PIII to PIV

weknowthewor

I doubt you have a mother board that can also use PIV's if you really do want to upgrade your PC then you'll need to buy a new mother board which will probably mean new ram as well. processors have gone a bit beyond PIV's now you could get an AMD processor for quite a bit cheaper than the intel variants.

just make sure that the mother board can handle it.

oh and XP will probably grumble when it notices the hardware has changed. to the extent of not working until you reinstall.

^^^ as above, you'll need to start from scratch

Ummm not quite, ne mobo, processor, and ram should be all you need to change. Unless your graphics card uses a slot that's not commonly available on new motherboards. But you can always get a built in graphics processor.

I'm upgrading from a celeron to a p4, and I'd say if you have the money get a new motherboard, get it. As everyone said, you'd need new ram (your 256 megs of ram is probably pc133, a new motherboard that supports many p4's should support a lot faster ram, the old will work but you won't be using the potential of the board). But if you don't, find out exactly what your motherboard supports and get the best it will support (probably not that expensive, a northwood core p4 looks about 50 bucks used). It might not support a p4, but mother boards aren't so expensive. It's the upgrades you realize you need with the mother board that are expensive (suddenly you can get faster ram, new graphics card, etc).

Personally I'm just sticking with my old mother board (it actually was originally made for a p4, lucky), but next upgrade I'll junk it. If yours supports a pentium 4 and you do use it, I'd get at least 512 megs of ram.

And if someone smarter than me contradicts me, do what they say :D

yeah it wouldtake some looking around to find a p4, the current production model from intel is the intel core 2 duo which runs at about 2 ghz, and also runs 64 bit.

although you may be able to find a cheap p4 computer off of ebay.

I found a bunch of p4's on ebay, and there are some new ones at NewEgg.com.